You are not logged in.

#51 2010-08-21 15:11:49

olvar

Re: Community repo (sustainability)

I have to agree with marfig.
It seems to be a consensus, saying that Arch maintainers could use some help.
The logical question after that is how to attract that help.

It could well be the case, you don't do anything to attract it, because the help you are seeking comes from the people interested enough to do it by their selves, without the need of "advertising", but I don't see the point in such an extreme position.

#52 2010-08-21 15:48:10

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

@marfig, I'm aware that your intentions are good, and generally I don't have a problem with what you're saying, but I need to debunk this part:-

marfig wrote:

If I download a package from [Community] and that package installs a broken version of the software because the TU doesn't use the actual program and wasn't aware of upstream changes that required changes in ABS, the Arch Way "contract" is broken; Simplicity without unnecessary additions, modifications, or complications. And if then I'm the one that has to go hunt down the problem, subscribe to upstream mailing lists, and ask around until an answer is given, publish the answer on Arch bug report and hope for a fix, this is an even greater problem. If you or anyone else doesn't see a problem with this, then quite frankly Community is not a repo for me. I'll rather roll out my own builds.

The Arch Way does NOT mean 'your system will not have unnecessary complications'. And all the behaviour after 'complications' is EXPECTED of Arch users. Yes, this should not be required often if at all, but IF a mistake happens (and of course mistakes will happen with probability 1 over a sufficient span of time), the Arch user is expected to do all that and more.

Again, I generally see where you're coming from, but there's a need to be explicit on what the Arch Way is. It is not a promise to users from developers.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#53 2010-08-21 16:03:24

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

People, please keep this discussion civil. No need to get all high and mighty.

I tend to agree with the others, that the primary requisite for a TU is the willingness and ability. So if someone really wants to be a TU, it shouldn't be hard to get the required info.

Although, I guess marfig wants the "how to become a TU" to be prominent on the wiki. That should not be too difficult either. Maybe a link from the homepage, a sticky calling for applications should do the trick.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#54 2010-08-21 21:43:31

Allan
Pacman
Website

marfig wrote:

If I download a package from [Community] and that package installs a broken version of the software because the TU doesn't use the actual program and wasn't aware of upstream changes that required changes in ABS, the Arch Way "contract" is broken; Simplicity without unnecessary additions, modifications, or complications. And if then I'm the one that has to go hunt down the problem, subscribe to upstream mailing lists, and ask around until an answer is given, publish the answer on Arch bug report and hope for a fix, this is an even greater problem. If you or anyone else doesn't see a problem with this, then quite frankly Community is not a repo for me. I'll rather roll out my own builds.

Well. this obviously does not happen much or or bug tracker would have a decent amount of bugs in the [community] section.  But there are only 50 bugs for ~2000 packages...

#55 2010-08-21 21:55:13

gazj
Website

Inxsible wrote:

People, please keep this discussion civil. No need to get all high and mighty.

I tend to agree with the others, that the primary requisite for a TU is the willingness and ability. So if someone really wants to be a TU, it shouldn't be hard to get the required info.

Although, I guess marfig wants the "how to become a TU" to be prominent on the wiki. That should not be too difficult either. Maybe a link from the homepage, a sticky calling for applications should do the trick.

I agree with this.  I just presumed you were picked, hence I did not search for it.  Stupid of me I know but true.

Board footer