You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-25 09:32:18

YellowSnowIsBad

Random Crashes. Kernel v. 2.6.35

Hi, i have some issues with arch crashing randomly. i don't think it is a hardware issue because of certain symptoms, such as power not being instantly killed, the screen going black and one of the HSF in my case goes nuts,  the sound repeating and skipping like a stuck record etc; which to me indicates a software issue.  unfortunately, i am still relatively new to linux, i have been using it for about a year and trouble shooting kernel issues is something i have no experience with. so i was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers? there doesn't seem to be anything in any logs of any significance,  but i will post on request. i wonder if debugging a crash dump would help? something i have no experience on in linux though, where would i begin?

this started to happen when i upgraded my kernel not last, but the time before. i am not sure which version, but i update regularly so it would have been a prompt update, meaning, i usually upgrade the kernel when it is released. it usually happens when either streaming videos, divx/flash, any format, or when browsing through photos on websites such as facebook etc. i have noticed that my relatively old cpu (amd athlon 4000+, single core) maxes out (which isn't uncommon on any platform) when performing these tasks, i wonder if this is related at all?

i am not even sure where to begin, but it is resulting in a very unstable system, one which i am scared to do any kind of work with in fear of data loss.

could you guys give me some pointers please?

Thanks.

#2 2010-08-25 11:53:24

karol
Archivist

Re: Random Crashes. Kernel v. 2.6.35

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=103346
I think you should downgrade to 2.6.34.

#3 2010-08-25 12:00:52

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

However, remember that the 2.6.34 kernel (or atleast some of them) have a security flaw which was fixed in 2.6.34.2 and >= 2.6.35.

So if you downgrade, get 2.6.34.2

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2010-08-25 15:45:37

YellowSnowIsBad

Thanks, i downgraded, so i will see how it goes.

Board footer