You are not logged in.

#51 2005-03-06 19:38:49

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: gurus sign up here

cactus wrote:
Mr Green wrote:

How many programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

0. If the light goes out, they simply bask in the glow of their monitors.

nice

0 : If the light goes out, the socket's error detection routines are smart enough to notify the nearest electrician and have them come replace it

#52 2005-03-07 04:19:33

skoal
Website

z4ziggy wrote:

x86 assembly (my fav)

sweet...

Although I prefer MIPS myself.

tranquility wrote:

VHDL

sweeter...

Although I'm strictly a Verilog man myself.

soloport wrote:

Assembly: Z80, MC68020-040, MC68340/360 (most years), ColdFire

sweetest...

You, sir, win the prize.

Me a guru? I'm just a jack of all trades, and a master of none...

#53 2005-03-07 04:24:56

z4ziggy
Website

most of the hardcore coders i know, are "masters of none", yet rule 'em all... wink

#54 2005-03-07 16:13:27

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

skoal wrote:
z4ziggy wrote:

x86 assembly (my fav)

sweet...

pfft, MIPS - proprietary assembly is much cooler - Motorola, TI, Xylinx... MIPS is too dry for me

skoal wrote:
tranquility wrote:

VHDL

sweeter...

Although I'm strictly a Verilog man myself.

Man, I hate verilog - after VHDL being my bread and butter for the longest time, Verilog hurts my head... I can't work properly in it and I do things at half the speed if I were to do it in VHDL

And VHDL has the coolest acronym ever:
VLSIC Hardware Description Language
Very Large Scale Integrated Circuit Hardware Description Language

bam!

#55 2005-03-08 15:48:46

dadexter
Website

It would be the best if it was somewhat recursive, like GNU tongue

#56 2005-03-08 16:58:51

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

phrakture wrote:

Man, I hate verilog - after VHDL being my bread and butter for the longest time, Verilog hurts my head... I can't work properly in it and I do things at half the speed if I were to do it in VHDL

time to elaborate!!!

verilog is too much like a programming language.. it's too much like C... and if you learn that you are "programming" it doesn't make sense.
VHDL/Verilog/etc are used to describe a hardware unit.  Under VHDL, you describe the entity itself, inputs and outputs, then describe the architecture, and how it is structured.  Under verilog, you kinda make functions... it doesn't make sense to me, from a hardware design perspective...

#57 2005-03-08 19:20:58

skoal
Website

phrakture wrote:

verilog is too much like a programming language.. it's too much like C... and if you learn that you are "programming" it doesn't make sense.

VHDL is the DoD project later given IEEE standards (and never really intended for actual design), and Verilog HDL is the one developed commercially. Both are used extensively in abstract models and synthesization, and there are similarities between the two of course. 

One of the biggest markets today is simulation and the licensing of it.  It is very important in those cases for other designers to understand your logic, so they can implement it at as an HDL model.  ASIC vendors and their hundreds of supported Verilog libraries -> quicker design to market.

As far as a purely language analysis (from my experience):
1. Debugging is a snap in Verilog.
2. Verilog timing for abstraction models was much more in sync with hardware behaviour than VHDL.  In fact, I don't believe VHDL had such capability until it was released by Verilog, and the IEEE adopted it later as a standard. 
3. There were cases when I could only use an EDA tool in Verilog.
4. There are many more comparisons, but that's old news in the Verilog/VHDL wars...

In the end, it's a matter of preference, but more than likely what you have to use.  Whether it's Verilog or VHDL, you still need a firm grasp of parallel execution.  Outside of that, everything else is "superficial" differences like C or C++ implementations, and the debates which ensue over that...

#58 2005-03-08 19:43:05

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

skoal wrote:

In the end, it's a matter of preference, but more than likely what you have to use.  Whether it's Verilog or VHDL, you still need a firm grasp of parallel execution.

Agreed.  I used to like verilog much better but after being *required* to use VHDL for almost a year, I decided I liked it much better, though I could do without the Pascal-based syntax he he he.

And technically you don't always need to know parallel execution, for instance - state machines... in VHDL it takes place (usually) in a PROCESS block, which is interpreted as an FF-base state machine and is executed sequentially..
But I'm just being picky...

#59 2006-06-11 12:10:00

Komodo

phrakture wrote:
skoal wrote:
z4ziggy wrote:

x86 assembly (my fav)

sweet...

pfft, MIPS - proprietary assembly is much cooler - Motorola, TI, Xylinx... MIPS is too dry for me

nah, i'm with skoal on this one; mips is my preference. also, check out the performance of MIPS r10000 vs pentium pro smile

anyhoo, my languages (proficiency order):

java, ocaml, haskell, CSP, ruby, python, oberon  [i'm excluding mips; it's hardly challenging tongue]

My favourite is haskell, with ruby following and then java. My least favourite is oberon (close second is ocaml). I prefer ruby over python. And that's about it big_smile

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#60 2006-06-12 16:16:04

soloport

When interviewing a prospective candidate, draw a tall rectangle on the whiteboard, tell them that it's a Memory Map and ask them, "Which end, top or bottom is 0x00000000?  Which end is 0xFFFFFFFF?"

How they answer will tell you a great deal.

I'll post the correct answer if anyone is curious.  But, first, any guesses?

#61 2006-06-12 17:59:59

postlogic
Website

Programmers don't die, they just GoSub and Return.

Anyway, from left to right: PHP, Python, JavaScript, C++.

#62 2006-06-12 18:50:41

Komodo

soloport wrote:

When interviewing a prospective candidate, draw a tall rectangle on the whiteboard, tell them that it's a Memory Map and ask them, "Which end, top or bottom is  ?  Which end is 0xFFFFFFFF?"

How they answer will tell you a great deal.

I'll post the correct answer if anyone is curious.  But, first, any guesses?

hmm... no idea at all. but since my first instinct is the obvious answer that 0x00000000 is at the bottom, i'm gonna guess instead that it's at the top (since your phraseology is loaded to bias an unusual answer tongue).

i'd like to know the answer though smile

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#63 2006-06-12 19:37:59

barebones

I'm no programming guru, not by a long shot (I have experience in python and java, and thats about it) but I'd say that 0x000000 is neither the top nor the bottom, but the left side. Because english reads left to right, and thats what I'm used to, it seems like left to right would be more efficent of a way to work instead of any of the other directions.

#64 2006-06-12 20:12:34

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

0x0 is (traditionally) at the top, at least in almost every diagram I've seen.

On topic (geez, didn't know this thread existed)
C/C++, Java, BASIC (woohoo), Bash - and I pick up other languages like nobody's business.  I have no PHP experience whatsoever but I've helped people debug PHP apps, for example.

#65 2006-06-12 21:42:47

soloport

The answer:

If you think like a typical Hardware or Firmware engineer, you'll say 0x00000000 is at the bottom.  If you think like most Software engineers, you may say the 0x0000000 is at the top.  "Because code flows down*, right?" :shock:  (Well, the Program Counter *increments to the next instruction.  So, software only really flows "down" in an editor. big_smile )

This is why embedded hardware is often layed out "Big-endian" -- but most PC software is written for "Little-endian" (byte-swapped) hardware.

Intel processors seemed to be designed by software engineers (a very conflicted lot).  On the other hand, Motorola (Freescale) processors are designed by real harware / embedded engineers.  It's true.

The PowerPC, however, is rather AC/DC.  It swings both ways to suit your requirements. ;-)

#66 2006-06-13 00:27:26

Komodo

hehe, interesting soloport. i know all about program counter, base pointer etc. in your average stack frame, but it didn't help me answer the question  :evil:

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#67 2006-06-13 06:57:11

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

soloport wrote:

The answer:

If you think like a typical Hardware or Firmware engineer, you'll say 0x00000000 is at the bottom.  If you think like most Software engineers, you may say the 0x0000000 is at the top.  "Because code flows down*, right?" :shock:  (Well, the Program Counter *increments to the next instruction.  So, software only really flows "down" in an editor. big_smile )

What if I would have answered like so: "I can't answer that. It's a fairly arbitrary decision to pick which end of a diagram a lable goes on, and means little.  What other stipulations/information can you give me about this?  If there is none, I would just say 0xFFFFFFFF is the top, simply because I've seen more diagrams organzied that way"

#68 2006-06-13 15:24:44

soloport

phrakture wrote:

What if I would have answered like so: "I can't answer that. It's a fairly arbitrary decision to pick which end of a diagram a lable goes on, and means little.  What other stipulations/information can you give me about this?  If there is none, I would just say 0xFFFFFFFF is the top, simply because I've seen more diagrams organzied that way"

Oh! Did I mention how a engineering manager might answer?  tongue

(kidding...)

#69 2006-06-13 16:43:50

Moo-Crumpus

arooaroo wrote:
Pink Chick wrote:

I am very good in "mouse". I know every button, wheel and knob of it.  big_smile

Ah, then you'll probably like Power Button too big_smile

I progressed and now know "keyboard" as well. I know any key now, men. Cool. Example: *
That's exactly what I expected would happen. Yahoo!

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#70 2006-06-13 17:51:36

Komodo

Moo-Crumpus wrote:

I progressed and now know "keyboard" as well. I know any key now, men. Cool. Example: *
That's exactly what I expected would happen. Yahoo!

:shock:

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#71 2006-06-14 02:29:37

deficite

C/C++, Python, Haskell, x86 ASM, C#, PHP, and some other web languages (a smidgen of Perl before I found out how much it disgusts me)

#72 2006-06-14 12:58:25

Romashka
Forum Fellow

x86 assembler, C, C++, PHP, VB, Pascal, Delphi, ECMAScript (JavaScript, ActionScript)
+ SQL, XHTML, CSS, XML etc.
I tried also Perl, Python, Ruby, Pike, Java, Ada, many embedded scriptable languages (Lua, Pawn (former Small)).
Now I do all my work in C and PHP-SQL-XHTML-CSS-AJAX-XML-Flash-Flex, depending on tasks.
I also have an experience with SDL, Allegro and many of their supplementary libraries.
For my C demelopment needs I tried MSVC++6 and lcc-win32, now I use MinGW (with DevC++ or Code::Blocks) and Pelles C (good lcc-based C99-compliant C compiler).

to live is to die

#73 2006-06-26 20:52:29

Bison
Website

Python, Common Lisp, PHP, C, C++, Java, Basic

#74 2006-06-27 09:53:02

GSF

skillsets, in order of ability:
personal - Java, C, PHP
professional - MVS Assembler, REXX, COBOL, JCL