You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-31 21:17:30

trusktr
Banned
Website

NetworkManager dispatcher doesn't dispatch anything.

NOTE: The networkmanager dispatcher problem is described in post #5 followed by it's solution. Skip the description below as the culprit of the problem has been discovered to be different than I had originally thought.

In the wiki it says to put a "slightly modified" /etc/rc.d/openntpd file inside /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d in order to make oepnntpd dependent on a connection from networkmanager.

However, instead of adding a modified version of the openntpd daemon in there, i simply copied the one from /etc/rc.d and it seems to be working fine.

Can anyone verify this and/or justify why I should make a modified openntpd?

EDIT: The above description is no longer valid as I've changed the wiki to display the correct instructions.

Last edited by trusktr (2010-09-07 06:30:01)

joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.

#2 2010-09-01 00:19:30

hokasch

Re: NetworkManager dispatcher doesn't dispatch anything.

As a start, you could compare the two versions and find out what exactly was modified slightly, and that may give you some hints already (no idea myself about this though)

#3 2010-09-01 17:16:42

trusktr
Banned
Website

Good idea hokasch, i glanced through both files. I'm not much of a bash scripter yet, but from what I could see the only main differences are changes in the screen output vocabulary (not important) and removal of the RUNDIR for the daemon. That's about it.

The original file seems to work just fine so i'm just going to stick with it. I don't see any benefit for using the modified  version. Seems to me the user modified it on a reason of preference, not necessity.

Last edited by trusktr (2010-09-01 17:17:54)

#4 2010-09-03 19:26:47

trusktr
Banned
Website

Update: So it is 12:25 in the afternoon but gnome shows 5:25 am. So obviously, something isn't working here. I'll be back to post the solution when I find it!

#5 2010-09-03 19:34:22

trusktr
Banned
Website

Okay, I've discovered that network dispatcher isn't starting openntpd (regardless of whether i use the original or modified versions of the daemon script).

If I start openntpd (/etc/rc.d/openntpd start) then it works and my time is corrected.

Any ideas why networkmanager dispatcher doesn't dispatch?

Last edited by trusktr (2010-09-03 20:46:42)

#6 2010-09-03 20:38:32

trusktr
Banned
Website

Okay, I found the solution.

Instead of using a modified version of "/etc/rc.d/openntpd" inside /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d, use the following script as described in the NetworkManager page of the wiki:

#!/bin/sh

INTERFACE=$1 # The interface which is brought up or down
STATUS=$2 # The new state of the interface

case "$STATUS" in
    'up') # $INTERFACE is up
    exec /etc/rc.d/openntpd start
    ;;
    'down') # $INTERFACE is down
    exec /etc/rc.d/openntpd stop # Disable if having more than one active interface might bring openntpd down unnecessarily
    ;;
esac

I've modified the Network Time Protocol page to reflect the appropriate instructions that actually work now.

Last edited by trusktr (2010-09-03 20:45:39)

#7 2010-09-07 06:26:40

trusktr
Banned
Website

UPDATE: The problem is not fixed! For some reason, networkmanager doesn't seem to launch any dispatcher scripts (sometimes?).

I booted my computer, logged into my desktop, networkmanager is automatically connected, but my time is completely off!

Issuing /etc/rc.d/networkmanager restart didn't work.
Trying /etc/rc.d/openntpd stop shows [FAIL] which means the dispatcher script didn't launch openntpd.
Upon trying, /etc/rc.d/openntpd start, the time returned to normal.

So obviously, networkmanager isn't dispatching the script like it should This is not an openntpd problem, just a networkmanager problem.

Any ideas what to do?

EDIT: I'm filing a bug report.

Last edited by trusktr (2010-09-07 06:27:43)

#8 2010-09-07 06:49:14

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

trusktr wrote:

Any ideas what to do?

Learn to use the Edit button. Seriously - this is just flagrant bumping http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … te#Bumping

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#9 2010-09-21 18:41:31

trusktr
Banned
Website

I still haven't found a fix for this... And it's been 15 days since my last post Jasonwryan wink

Board footer