You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-04 14:32:44

RichardSantoro

Samba/Cifs very slow when using "mount"

Hi,

I recently get tired of using the gui to access my samba shares, so i've made a script to mount my shares when i run it.
The commande used is the following :

mount -t cifs //serveur/share /media/share -o user=guest,pass='',

but the speed transfert is very low (5-6 mo/s instead of 10-11 (also slow considering i'm using a full 1000BaseT network) while using the gui (from gnome's places menu).
I tried noatime option, nothing change.

Regards,

RS.

#2 2010-09-04 14:48:30

ralvez
Website

Re: Samba/Cifs very slow when using "mount"

I used to set up my system with Samba. Like you I found that some things were less than desirable, so now-a-days I use Samba (for  the windows machines in the network) and SSH for  the Linux machines.

In Linux (I use KDE) I just set the connection to the shares in Dolphin as sftp://server/share. The connection is virtually instantaneous (almost like if the  share resides in the local machine wink)
and has a very good data transfer. I can even enable thumbnail images in the image directories and they show up very fast.

BTW, in the intranet I also have enabled passwordless access to SSH, that makes things even faster/convenient.

I do not really have an answer to your question but I hope these ideas may be of help.

R.

#3 2010-09-06 00:17:20

yejun

Re: Samba/Cifs very slow when using "mount"

You can probably change samba buffer settings. On gig network, samba should at least sustain 70MB/s.

http://oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/appb.pdf

Board footer