You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-10 04:43:56

greyhat.goon

Wireless desktop

I recently moved and had a situation where I couldn't run an internet cable into the room where my desktop would reside.   This
forced me to get wireless going on my desktop.

The Dlink DWA-556 Wireless N PCI Express adapter works flawlessly with new kernels (> 2.6.32).  It uses an Atheros chipset and
works out of the box with the madwifi kernel modules, ath5k or ath9k.  WPA2/AES encryption, good speed, everything works well. 

Highly recommend if you're considering wireless on your Arch powered desktop.

Last edited by greyhat.goon (2010-09-10 04:44:30)

Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes....Thoreau

#2 2010-09-10 04:45:53

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Wireless desktop

What exactly is the point of this thread?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-09-10 04:52:20

greyhat.goon

Just informational...........it can be somewhat difficult to find a wireless card that works out of the box with linux.

Is there a more appropriate place to post this information??

Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes....Thoreau

#4 2010-09-10 05:57:54

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Well, those interested in finding out if a particular wireless card will work OOTB with Linux can just check the kernel page. You could also add the information to the "laptops with Arch Linux" forum thread (though that one is also quite pointless currently).

No, there's no specific resource for this type of information, simply because there are only 3 types of users:-
1. Those who already know (in which case this information doesn't help)
2. Those who don't know but will google for it (in which case there will be plenty of 'official' resources like the kernel comments or various driver lists around the interwebz)
3. Those who don't know and don't know enough/care enough to search (in which case they wouldn't be here in the first place).

In general forums are a bad place for information of this nature, they're more for communication than providing information. I'm not sure if our wiki has related things, otherwise no, there's no Arch Linux resource I know off that's suitable for this.

Related note: Wireless pretty much 'just works' for most people, only Broadcom users have issues, and those just require some tweaking.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-09-10 06:00:49

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

The best place to put this kind of information would be the wiki - hardware compatibility and such, 802.11n support...

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer