You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-19 04:03:20

Svenstaro
Administrator

Sane virtual mail server setup?

I'm giving up. I want a simple mail server setup (imaps, pop3s, smtps) with virtual user support that I can comfortably configure from the web (PostfixAdmin, web-cyradm, courier-web). I want to manage multiple users on multiple domains. It appears that the task I want to accomplish is insanely complex for some reason. I'd like to use as few different software packages as possible.

I can't find a simple and sane tutorial on the topic and I don't even care what software is going to be used. Of course, I did search and play around with the config for hours but to no avail. The tutorials in the Arch wiki are no good either, they are either outdated or do not allow me to do web configuration.

Help me out here, please. smile

#2 2010-09-19 20:11:18

codycarey

Re: Sane virtual mail server setup?

Have you ever considered using Gmail for this type of thing? Like you I @($#ing hate dealing with mail so I started using their free email service. It just requires setting up some DNS entries and whatnot and after that Google handles everything.

#3 2010-09-19 20:24:32

Svenstaro
Administrator

I bit the bullet and eventually figured out my own way. I'm documenting it here now: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sim … ail_System
What you describe would have been my fallback.

#4 2010-09-21 15:46:07

Svenstaro
Administrator

I'm done. Look at mah guide!

#5 2010-09-21 16:25:37

nogoma

It's always good to have alternatives, but out of curiousity, did you not try the courier-mta wiki? I used that wiki guide recently and it had me running with a system like what you describe without too much fuss. The only stuff I haven't tried/used is web-based administration or mail access; perhaps this was the problem for you?

-nogoma
---
Code Happy, Code Ruby!
http://www.last.fm/user/nogoma/

#6 2010-09-22 02:00:11

Svenstaro
Administrator

I looked at Courier-MTA but its documentation and general recommendations I heard about made me not choose it. Also it would seem that there is more community support behind Postfix and friends.

Board footer