You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-21 14:30:42

xdemo

[SOLVED] wicd - bad password

Can't solve this one. Finished installing xfce from a new install few minutes ago.
Followed the guide here, for setting up wicd. deamon loads fine at boot, runs on xfce login etc. Scan for networks, lists them all, but cannot connect to my router, messagebox says "bad password".

Didn't miss anything, set this up on another xfce desktop last week and worked perfectly.
I'm connecting with wpa_supplicant / dhcpcd from the command line at the moment, which isn't a big deal, i usually dump that into rc.local but for the point of having a tray icon (wicd) control my wifi, i'd like to find out why its telling me i'm entering a bad password.

Any ideas?

Edit: and by the way i'm using WPA encryption

Last edited by xdemo (2010-09-24 04:19:49)

Linux 2.6.38-ck x86_64 / xfce

#2 2010-09-23 06:57:55

Kermit

Re: [SOLVED] wicd - bad password

I had the same problem. It was causing by WPA auth ... I don't know why there was/is messagebox "Bad password" ... I solved this problem by using netcfg smile
U can try delete all config and use wpa_gui to "connect" with your router. If it will work then tray to connect by Wicd.

Kermit.

#3 2010-09-23 17:22:46

phil90

Good morning,

Make sure you use the correct one between WPA passphrase and WAP Share Key. I also had that issue when I installed WICD. I was using the right key but the wrong setting.

#4 2010-09-23 21:41:56

xdemo

Hi thanks for replys
Well i've double checked a few times, still not sure...

$ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0     Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
                    Protocol:802.11b/g/n
                    ESSID:"BTHomeHub2-TQFN"
                    Mode:Managed
                    Channel:4
                    Quality:91/100  Signal level:-54 dBm  Noise level:-81 dBm
                    Encryption key:on
                    Bit Rates:130 Mb/s
                    IE: WPA Version 1
                        Group Cipher : TKIP
                        Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
                        Authentication Suites (1) : PSK

And i am using "WPA 1/2 (Preshared Key)" in the wicd settings.
The funny thing is however, after connecting with wpa_supplicant / dhcpcd, the wicd tray applet shows information about being connected, and allows me to also disconnect; Screenshot

My /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf is simply:

network={
     ssid="BTHomeHub2-TQFN"
     psk=blah
}

Does wicd use any settings from /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf in case i need to specify the authentication mode, or does it use its own config?

I might look at netcfg / wpa_gui, like i said its not much of a big deal. I have a make-do script for wpa_supplicant/dhcpcd at boot time.

#5 2010-09-24 04:19:35

xdemo

Okay, i'm not too sure what just happened. But my router decided to restart itself (does this every few days)... and once it came back online wicd connected perfectly.

So i guess this is solved. Looked at a few people saying that the BT Homehub router tends to delink or refuse connections quite often.

Board footer