You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-06 19:14:01

phunni

Can't start squid

I recently rebooted my server (had to switch off the electricity to the house sockets for some DIY) and I now can;t start squid - which was very happily running before the reboot.  Running

/etc/rc.d/squid start

respond with a "[Done]" and no error message but squid does not run.  I've checked the logs and there are no errors either.  My squid.conf is unchanged and I've run an

squid -k parse

just to be certain.

Any ideas?

#2 2005-03-06 19:39:33

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Can't start squid

try starting squid manually, without the rc script.
Also, is apache running? There was an apache issue a while back that might be affecting squid as well...

pacman -S libidn
fixed that issue for me.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-03-06 20:00:26

phunni

apache is running.  Running squid directly makes no difference - neither does installing lididn...

I tried reboot again and the only message I got was that squid failed due to repeated failures - but no clue as to what these failures might be...

#4 2005-03-06 20:23:14

lucke

Yhm, do you have a /var/log/squid/run directory for squid to place its pid file?

Doesn't running squid manually from the command line give you any fishy output?

#5 2005-03-06 22:07:11

phunni

yes there is a run directory.  The only fishy output I ever saw was an error about permission being denied on the /var/log/squid directory, but I made it owned by user squid and read/writable by it's owner and that error went away...

But it's still not working...

Board footer