You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-27 17:47:14

redgrave

X11 crash randomly

Hi everyone,

I've been on Archlinux since about 6 month, and never had a crash so far. But now, I've got a strange crash randomly.

I don't really know arch yet, since I didn't have to modify or change any "difficult" parameters or configuration since it's installation.

I'm currently using Arch with these drivers and windows manager:

Xorg
Nvidia driver
Slim
Openbox

CPU: intel core i7 720qm
Graphics: Nvidia gt260m
Ram: 6Go
Screen: 1920x1080
HDD: 500Go Western Digital Scorpio Black

I'm experiencing random X11 restart since today. Havn't changed any parameters or havn't got any error. It just crashes.

When it crashes, I've got a dark blank screen for about 30 seconds. During that time, every programms that were running are killed.
Then I see the Nvidia logo again, like X11 was starting for the first time. I must enter my login in Slim again, like I never logged, and restart every programmes.

It seems that it crashes more often when i'm using firefox or gwenview (I wonder why it functions for months...).

Could anybody give me a lead on that?

Thanks for the help and sorry for my poor english

#2 2010-09-27 20:17:48

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: X11 crash randomly

is your CPU temp going too high so that it reaches a cut-off ?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2010-09-27 21:15:31

redgrave

Re: X11 crash randomly

I don't think so...

If it was the CPU, then after a cool down the bug would have disappeared. But it's still there.

And I'm not sure that a CPU overheat have that "random" effect of restarting X and killing my programmes.

Anyway, thanks for answering !

After a little more experimentation, I found a "trigger" to crash it. It seems that when I watch some videos or when I must generate a lot of thumbnail with GwenView or when I'm watching a diaporama with a lot of high-res images, it crashes.

I think maybe it would be the drivers. I tested on my other linux (havn't used it since I installed arch... ) and it perfectly works. It's maybe the graphics drivers. What do you think ?

Last edited by redgrave (2010-09-27 21:16:50)

Board footer