You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-06 16:12:41

maralorn

[solved] Connecting Problem with Huawei EM 770W

Hello Guys,

I am using Archlinux for quite a long time compared with my lifetime. I tried several other things, but I must say I adore it and I really do not want to switch caused by this minor issue. I have already tried a lot of things to fix it, but it wont work. So here is my problem.

I have an Acer 1825PT with an integrated 3g Modem. I also have a a 3g USB stick. I have a working setup for using my 3g flatrate with the stick under arch. I can connect without any problems either with wvdial or with NetworkManager/nm-applet. As you can imagine it kinda sucks to use stick while having an integrated module. I tested the huawei card successfully under Windows and an Ubuntu Livestick. (Ubuntu used Networmanager/nm-applet as well, Ubuntu 10.10 rc (Netbook) Image "ootb"). But under arch this huawei thing won't work.

EDIT:
This Problem still exists, but I noticed this is only the case, if the SIM-card is not in the device at boot-up. Since I close to never reboot arch, but just booted the other System to check, i got this problem. The only question remaining is if there is a possebility to reboot or reset just the gsm-modem with any kind of command.

Sorry for spaming the forum, but I struggled with this problem for about 2 months, and this idea just crossed my mind.
(Of course I had already tried reboot but I had the SIM-card in my stick since I needed the internet.)

Some details: (Always only the stuff I guessed is relevant)

uname -a
Linux apollo 2.6.35-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 29 08:45:18 CEST 2010 x86_64 Genuine Intel(R) CPU U7300 @ 1.30GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
lsusb:
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 12d1:1404 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
lsmod:
option                 15490  1
ls /dev:
gsmmodem
ttyUSB0
ttyUSB1
ttyUSB2
ttyUSB3
ttyUSB4
ttyUSB5
cat /etc/wvdial.conf 
[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/gsmmodem
ISDN = off
Modem Type = USB Modem
Baud = 7200000
Init = ATZ
Init2 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet.t-mobile.de"
Init3 = 
Init4 = 
Init5 = 
Init6 = 
Init7 = 
Init8 = 
Init9 = 
Phone = *99#
Phone1 = 
Phone2 = 
Phone3 = 
Phone4 = 
Dial Prefix = 
Dial Attempts = 1
;Dial Command = ATM1L3DT
Ask Password = off
Password = off
Username = na
Auto Reconnect = off
Abort on Busy = off
Carrier Check = off
Check Def Route = off
Abort on No Dialtone = off
Stupid Mode = on
Idle Seconds = 0
Auto DNS = on

When I replace /dev/gsmmodem with /dev/gsmmodem2 and put my SIM-card in the stick, wvdial connects succesful with the internet.

Here is what happens with wvdial with config from above:

wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet.t-mobile.de"
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet.t-mobile.de"
ERROR
--> Bad init string.

This repeats threetimes and shows no effect at all. Same thing with nm-applet. In the moment I try to connect happens this:

** (nm-applet:19439): WARNING **: _nm_object_get_property: Error getting 'State' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/5: (19) Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist
** (nm-applet:19439): WARNING **: _nm_object_get_property: Error getting 'Devices' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/5: (19) Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist
** (nm-applet:19439): WARNING **: _nm_object_get_property: Error getting 'ServiceName' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/5: (19) Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist
** (nm-applet:19439): CRITICAL **: applet_get_connection_for_active: assertion `scope != NM_CONNECTION_SCOPE_UNKNOWN' failed

I am kind of confused. To me it seems like the driver (option) works correctly. The behaviour of the gsmmodem is similar to the behaviour when no SIM-card is in it. But I am sure there is one and it definitly works under Ubuntu and Win. There must be a different software version or a missconfiguration under arch, but I can't find it.

I am sure this won't be any problem at all for you guys and I am looking forward for your help.
If there is any Information missing go ahead and ask.
Thank you for the great distribution.

Maralorn

PS: This is the best english I got. Sorry...

Last edited by maralorn (2010-10-06 22:47:26)

Board footer