You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-24 15:28:54

radix

Best MTA null client config? postfix, exim or other?

Hello all,
I am just switching to Arch from CentOS. Cent came out of the box larded with lots of stuff including sendmail. I only used sendmail for outgoing email generated by scripts, no incoming, no mailboxes or in other words what I know (correctly or otherwise) as a null client. I switched to Arch because I run a minimalist setup on this system that's geared toward one task. I have no DB or web server installed for instance. What in your opinion is the simplest and lightest solution for outgoing mail only? Can you point me at any guides? After spending so long with sendmail its going to take a little reading to swap. Thank you all for you input!

#2 2010-10-25 16:02:38

nordog

Re: Best MTA null client config? postfix, exim or other?

I'm also interested in this. I want to set up smartmontools in such a way that if it detects errors in my harddrives I get notified of this via an email message. I just need to be able to send a message, not receive it nor anything else.

#3 2010-10-25 16:44:38

Leonid.I

Your question is ill posed.

For instance, if you only want to sent emails to jdoe@gmail.com, then all you need is an smtp client: ssmtp, msmtp, ...

However, you also want to receive mail from smartd. This requires an MTA, such as sendmail, postfix or exim. The apps, listed above will not be enough.

Out of the three MTAs, I found exim to have fewer deps...

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

#4 2010-10-25 21:49:05

radix

Leonid.I wrote:

Your question is ill posed.

For instance, if you only want to sent emails to jdoe@gmail.com, then all you need is an smtp client: ssmtp, msmtp, ...

However, you also want to receive mail from smartd. This requires an MTA, such as sendmail, postfix or exim. The apps, listed above will not be enough.

Out of the three MTAs, I found exim to have fewer deps...

Leonid.I thank you for your input. Your correct that the term "null client" is not optimal here. I am rather looking for the function of a null client as described on the postfix site "A null client is a machine that can only send mail. It receives no mail from the network, and it does not deliver any mail locally. A null client typically uses POP, IMAP or NFS for mailbox access". To do this with postfix would likely mean configuring it to hand outgoing mail off to a mail hub/smart host, which I dont want to do. If it was just going to hand off the mail your right you should just use an SMTP client and open a gmail account for these simple tasks.

The solution I am looking for is in effect a SMTP server running on the host. RHEL comes out of the box with sendmail configured in much the same way as you can see in this snippet from the default /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

# SMTP daemon options
O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA

Of course I dont need a SMTP server. I am just happy with the functionality of how the mail and sendmail commands function and dont have a MUA that needs to use it. So what are peoples suggestions on the best and most minimalist way to emulate this functionally without using an external mail server?

Last edited by radix (2010-10-25 22:07:43)

Board footer