You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-11 15:06:54

edward.taylor89

Disabling autoload after installing custom kernel..

Should I disable the autodetect HOOK after installing a custom kernel with only the necessary modules for my system installed?

Last edited by edward.taylor89 (2010-11-11 16:36:58)

'The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.'

#2 2010-11-11 15:49:40

ChoK

Re: Disabling autoload after installing custom kernel..

do you mean autodetect? if all the modules needed for boot are built in your kernel (sd_mod ext4 ahci for a ext4 root partition on a SATA HDD for example) you can skip the initramfs alltogether in your grub boot line.

see there
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=108262

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#3 2010-11-11 16:39:42

edward.taylor89

Yes, I've only just edited that. Thanks for pointing it out. I have built in all the required modules for /root to load without initramfs and removed the line from the GRUB entry. It works! smile

Does that mean the autodetect HOOK is now redundant? Can the same be said for udev?

'The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.'

#4 2010-11-11 17:02:44

ChoK

autodetect just trims unneeded modules from the image (for example you set the filesystem hook and you actually only need ext4, it will remove reiserfs jfs etc from the image). udev works the other way around. It lists the hardware at boot time and loads the corresponding module (taking 1-2 seconds for that).

You can do without both if you know what your kernel needs to mount the root partition and set them in the modules' section. For example, my mkinitcpio.conf with the stock arch kernel is:

MODULES="sd_mod ext4 ahci"                                                               
BINARIES=""                                                                                                     
FILES="/etc/modprobe.d/options.conf"             
HOOKS="base v86d keymap resume"                                                                                             
COMPRESSION="lzma"

Last edited by ChoK (2010-11-11 17:03:45)

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

Board footer