You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-18 16:29:28

fuscia

cdrom not working since recent reinstallment

It worked fine as I used it for my installation from the cd, but after my installation was complete, I couldn't get any cd recognized. I would stick one in and it made 'that sound' that is always makes when I do (like a machine waking up), but it kept repeating it and the cd failed to be recognized. It won't even boot a live ubuntu live cd from a cold start. Is this just a equipment problem that coincidently occurred at the time of my installation, or what?

(Sorry this is such a stupid sounding post, but I'm not much of a technician. Imagine your grandmother, or worse...)

#2 2010-11-18 22:53:40

jaydoc

Re: cdrom not working since recent reinstallment

That is exactly what happened to me. I noticed it when I was trying to make a opensuse install DVD. The CD drive just whirs and whirs, and makes a clicking noise.

And what is more some of keys (F3, F4, F5, F6 and F7, Fn) are not working. The fan is not spinning at all, and I am not sure if that was recent or if it was broken a few days/weeks ago after the last kernel update.

And, yes I am not much of a tech too, so I was just waiting around to see if anyone had a problem similar to mine

BTW, I run Arch on a 3 yr old Acer 5920 laptop.

It takes a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious - A N Whitehead

#3 2010-11-20 20:47:15

jaydoc

@fuscia

Did you find any fix..? Or at least find out what the exact issue was..?

Thanks.

It takes a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious - A N Whitehead

#4 2010-11-20 23:07:56

Primoz

None of you mentioned if you sue HAL or not, but in case you do this is the solution:
You have to change /etc/hal/fdi/information/media-check-disable-storage_model_your-CD/DVD-model.fdi bool from false to true and it should work.
If not here's another thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=108386
It has a vague solution to the problem, so hope that helps!

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

Board footer