You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-28 07:51:53

Don Coyote

[SOLVED]NetworkManager on Xfce

I have successfully connected the wifi on my laptop using the rtl8192SE driver and WPA supplicant by the "Classic Method". I'm now trying to get NetworkManager installed because I have had questionable experiences with wicd while using Zenwalk on my PC, as well as to follow the recommendation of the TU that built the rtl AUR package.

The NetworkManager wiki doesn't include a section on Xfce, so I guessed what packages would be best from other entries. Besides the main package, I also installed:
network-manager-applet xfce4-notifyd hicolor-icon-theme gnome-icon-theme gnome-keyring

At the top of the configuration section there is a (confirmed) note that everyting works just by installing the network-manager-applet. I'm not sure what this is supposed to refer to, but mine does not.

At the end of the Set Hostname section the wiki reads:

Verify that your /etc/hosts is correct before continuing. If you previously tried to connect before doing this step, NetworkManager may have altered it. An example hostname line in /etc/hosts:

#<ip-address> <hostname.domain.org>           <hostname>                        
127.0.0.1     localhost.localdomain localhost dell-latitude

I've tried Google and it seems the content of /hosts varies greatly from OS to OS, distro to distro. I've searched the Arch site and am mostly just seeing forum mentions that NetworkManager has recently begun to rewrite this file, forcing some users to manually edit it to make their systems work. It looks like mine is placing the hostname before hostname.domain.org, but I'm not understanding what is literal and what is variable here. Why are there 4 tuples with 3 headers in the example? What makes this file (in)correct?

I've done the rest of the sections listed under Configuration, except found nothing applicable in "Network Services with NetworkManager Dispatcher".

/etc/rc.d/networkmanager start

gives me a "DONE" message, but I am not connected and do not see any GUI clues to have me start or configure connections further. Not knowing off hand if Xfce is xdg compliant, I've tried

nm-applet --sm-disable &

and am told it cannot open the shared library file libgconf-2.so.4.

What do I do to utilize NetworkManager? Should I be sticking to the Newbie Corner?

Last edited by Don Coyote (2011-02-26 17:50:14)

#2 2010-11-28 08:01:31

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: [SOLVED]NetworkManager on Xfce

> pacman -Qo /usr/lib/libgconf-2.so.4
/usr/lib/libgconf-2.so.4 is owned by gconf 2.32.0-1
> pactree -u network-manager-applet | grep gconf
gconf

So you should have gconf already installed if you have installed network-manager-applet....    Check it is installed and that your system is fully up to date.

#3 2010-11-28 17:05:28

Don Coyote

Re: [SOLVED]NetworkManager on Xfce

gconf was not installed. Is that a dependency that pacman is supposed to manage, or should it be mentioned in the NetworkManager wiki?

Board footer