You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-30 01:40:39

brak3000

connman does not show up in enlightenment (e17)

Hello,

I've been a Linux user for a few years, but only very recently a Arch user. I set up an archbox on an old laptop of mine, and decided to go with e17 for the WM. I followed (or thought I did) all the instructions on the E17 wiki, not including the 2 scripts, and changed the daemons in rc.conf to this:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus hal slim netfs crond alsa connmand)

As you might have guessed, I use slim for the login screen, and include

exec enlightenment_start

in my xinitrc. but the Connection manager is nowhere to be found, not in the widgets, applications, etc. I installed it from the AUR, so that shouldn't be a problem. At this point I'm completely stumped, and nearly pulling my hair out. Any help that could be given would be infinitely appreciated.

Thank you

#2 2010-11-30 20:38:07

Tux the penguin

Re: connman does not show up in enlightenment (e17)

The connman wiki page https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Connman says that it does not have a working applet. Try following the instructions under using connman. I just started using E17 also so I'm trying it, too. Good luck.
EDIT: I had issues with connman. I think it is easier to use wicd and load the systray module in e17. Right click the bottom bar in e17 and go to shelf bottom -> contents and then add systray. You should have it if you have e17-extra-svn installed. You could also use wifi-radar but I had issues with that too, so I think wicd is the best thing to use. Install it with pacman and add it as a daemon in /etc/rc.conf in place of connman.

Last edited by Tux the penguin (2010-11-30 21:54:55)

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
MSI CR600 / 3GB Memory / 320GB HDD / Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00 GHz | Archlinux x86_64

#3 2010-12-01 07:12:22

steveriley

(...trying to recall from memory, because I've since switched to LXDE...)

First you have to load the ConnMan module (look in Module Settings). Then the list of gadgets will show one for ConnMan that you can add it to the shelf. When I did that, I saw the behavior I described in this post. Once I installed ConnMan from the AUR everything behaved nicely, so I added the section to the Wiki page that you referenced.

The only apparent differences between your setup and mine are that I wasn't using a login manager and rather than installing E17 as the Wiki suggests instead I used

pacman -S e17-svn e17-extra-svn

There are a few more packages that come when you use the e17-svn group; maybe that has something to do with it?

Check what's in your Module Settings. I should probably re-install E17 and add more detail to the Wiki page...

#4 2010-12-01 07:52:00

extofme
Website

brak3000 wrote:

As you might have guessed, I use slim for the login screen, and include

exec enlightenment_start

in my xinitrc. but the Connection manager is nowhere to be found, not in the widgets, applications, etc. I installed it from the AUR, so that shouldn't be a problem. At this point I'm completely stumped, and nearly pulling my hair out. Any help that could be given would be infinitely appreciated.

Thank you

i'm using it right now, so it does work; i just rebuilt all of E and connman today, so it's current too... however, you can't use the latest connman [0.64] (AUR pkg is actually out of date) because the DBUS API has changed from `org.moblin.connman` to `net.connman`... probably just a simple `s,org.moblin.connman,net.connman,g` on the sources, but i didn't try.

also, i did have this issue against 0.63:

http://www.mail-archive.com/connman@con … 02301.html

but the fix from the thread didn't seem to work.  however, simply building connman with:

--enable-wifi=builtin

worked fine.

i would maybe try to just fix the E module, should be easy, and build against the latest connman.  the package your using might not even be building the E connman module; should be under settings -> extensions -> modules -> system.  be sure your wireless interface is actually available too (i forgot the ipw2200-fw firmware package and it stumped me for a good 30+ min)

i just use the easy_e17.sh script directly, not a package.  try this (you can cp/paste the whole thing into a terminal):

mkdir ~/bin
cd ~/bin
wget http://omicron.homeip.net/projects/easy_e17/easy_e17.sh
chmod +x easy_e17.sh
cat <<WRAP > build_e17.sh && chmod +x build_e17.sh
#!/bin/bash

[ "\$EUID" -ne 0 ] && echo 'must be root' && exit 1

mkdir -p /var/cache/easy_e17 /opt/.e17

inst=\$(date +%F-%s)

rm -rf /tmp/easy_e17 /etc/ld.so.conf.d/e17.conf

PYTHON=/usr/bin/python2 \$(dirname \${0})/easy_e17.sh \\
    --install \\
    --packagelist=full \\
    --srcpath=/var/cache/easy_e17/e17_src \\
    --instpath=/opt/.e17/\${inst} \\
    --skip-errors \\
    -c -c \${@}

ln -s .e17/\${inst} /opt/e17.\${inst}
WRAP

[PYTHON doesn't work... need to look why E is trying to link against py3k]

and run; it will install E into a directory based on the current time, and create a corresponding symlink to it inside the /opt directory.  the wrapper will also ensure a clean build by distclean'ing the sources, removing old ld entries, and wiping the tmp directory.  the actual sources are reused of course, and arguments will be passed thru (-s can be useful to skip SVN sync).

this method lets you easily revert if there is problem by simply moving the symlink to an older build.  activate the new build by:

# sudo mv -T /opt/e17.<date> /opt/e17

and logging out.  this also means the /opt/e17 path never changes, so anywhere else you use it (exports/xinitrc/etc.) does not need to be updated when rotating builds.  lastly, make sure you gets all the deps by looking at the AUR package, and if you want the video stuff to work you need xine or gstreamer.  there is a slight prob with the easy_e17.sh script where it tries to build 1-2 packages in the wrong order (drawer and ethumb i think), but it's not a big deal, and you can fix by just correcting the order... or informing upstream :-)

good luck,

C Anthony

[edit: oops, forgot the shell stuff needed quotes, tested this time :-]

Last edited by extofme (2010-12-21 07:04:20)

what am i but an extension of you?

Board footer