You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-01 08:59:24

bjesus

Hibernating with Btrfs?

Hey,
Is it even possible to resume from hibernate when your root (/) filesystem is btrfs?
No matter when I've tried, my system just starts as if it's starting after a bad shutdown.

Does anyone have it working? What is it about btrfs that makes it a problem?

Thank you.

#2 2010-12-01 09:21:45

Cdh

Re: Hibernating with Btrfs?

Have you tried with tuxonice? For me it worked with the pf kernel: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=103462

With pm-utils it was not able to resume from swap... I have had asked the same question here before: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=100957

฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

#3 2010-12-01 22:19:53

bjesus

so, i'm posting this from my phone.
Installed kernel26-pf, configured everything, rebooted into it and all worked well. Then i ran pm-hibernate, and when i started my computer again it not only did not resume, it couldn't mount the / partition.

btrfs: open_ctree failed
mounting ..... Failed: invalid argument
error: failed to mount the real filesystem
bailing out, you are on your own. Good luck.

is there anything to do to fix my filesystem, or should i just wipe the tears and reinstall arch with another fs?

#4 2010-12-02 06:05:13

Cdh

bjesus wrote:
btrfs: open_ctree failed

Hm... I had the same after I tried hibernating with tuxonice with the pf kernel the first time. But back then it didn't really work at all, was compiled as module, and after that I tried pm-utils with a jfs filesystem and it killed many, many files on it.
I'm not sure what happened there but it always worked well after that so I assumed it was fixed...

Since there is no repairing fsck for btrfs you probably have to reinstall. I don't think it would be fun to recover the system anyway. I don't think you need to use another filesystem because when this happened my jfs filesystem was wrecked too...

#5 2010-12-02 17:33:08

bjesus

wow, that's sucks. i think i'll install ubuntu on another partition and check back arch when btrfs has a fsck tool. i just don't have the time to maintain everything anymore.. :-(

#6 2010-12-02 20:27:35

Cdh

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
Front page:

Note that Btrfs does not yet have a fsck tool that can fix errors. While Btrfs is stable on a stable machine, it is currently possible to corrupt a filesystem irrecoverably if your machine crashes or loses power on disks that don't handle flush requests correctly. This will be fixed when the fsck tool is ready.

Like I said: There was this one day where I killed a jfs and a btrfs filesystem and then something like that never happened again...

Board footer