You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-24 09:45:33

medicated

CIFS mounts will cause stalls on shutdown

I've had this problem for awhile, but I've been brushing it under the rug.  I have several mount points set up so that I can access several different webspaces locally.  They are all set up so that they need to be manually mounted(I don't need them at every mount).  I have some mount problems..but thats not my main issue..talk about them laer..  My main concern is that when I try to shut down my system, it stalls upon trying to unmount these filesystems.  I am unable to umount them on my own..but not at shutdown.  I think the problem lies in the area of the order of unmounting.    I just ran across that idea, so I'll report back my findings tomorrow, but does anyone have any idea what would cause this kind of problem?

mike

#2 2005-03-24 09:53:03

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: CIFS mounts will cause stalls on shutdown

if your network shuts down before the unmounting occurs, it might be causing the hang. I used to have this problem with samba shares I had mounted. If my connection died, it would hang on shutdown (actually it would eventually time out, but it took about 3 months--slight exaggeration)..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-03-24 09:59:47

medicated

I think I came up with my own solution.  In the netfs rc script mounts does not umount or mount cifs shares.  It only deals with nfs,coda and smbfs.  I added in cifs and it seems to work alright.  I'll give this some time to make sure that it actually solves my problem though.  The system naturally has a problem when the network connection goes down first and then it tries to umount the filesystem that it doesn't have access to.  That make sense?  I guess it does to me..err wait, that is exactly what you just said cactus  yikes

mike

#4 2005-05-20 08:43:56

Pajaro

bug report bug report bug report bug report bug report bug report

If you don't open a bug report the solution does not get applied to every arch user.

http://bugs.archlinux.org/

I've already opened this bug report for you.

#5 2005-05-20 08:45:25

Pajaro

well, sorry
the bug report is opened
how is that it has not been still fixed?, it's only to add 10 letters to the script....

#6 2005-05-20 08:48:34

Pajaro

it has been there for 3 months...

I'm starting to be tired of arch... but this is another story, and this is not the moment to talk about it...

#7 2005-05-22 20:44:11

medicated

I got an email a while back telling me that it was supposed to be fixed in the next realease of the initscripts  :?   I went ahead and fixed the problem within my own scripts and kinda forgot about the bug.  I wonder whats going on with that.  I understand the desire to wait for a more major release, but still.  Its an issue thats  being prolonged for much longer than it needs to.

#8 2011-05-03 04:11:13

me4tw

I had this problem, for those googlers here is the solution, post this into your /etc/rc.local.shutdown file:

echo "Unmounting samba-cifs filesystems..."
MOUNTED_CIFS_DIRS=`mount -t cifs| cut -d\  -f3`
MOUNTED_DIRS_ARRAY=($MOUNTED_CIFS_DIRS)
for i in ${!MOUNTED_DIRS_ARRAY[@]}
do
  umount -l ${MOUNTED_DIRS_ARRAY[i]}
done

so that it looks like this:

[jam@ikaros ~]$ cat /etc/rc.local.shutdown 
#!/bin/bash
#
# /etc/rc.local.shutdown: Local shutdown script.
#

echo "Unmounting samba-cifs filesystems..."
MOUNTED_CIFS_DIRS=`mount -t cifs| cut -d\  -f3`
MOUNTED_DIRS_ARRAY=($MOUNTED_CIFS_DIRS)
for i in ${!MOUNTED_DIRS_ARRAY[@]}
do
  umount -l ${MOUNTED_DIRS_ARRAY[i]}
done

[jam@ikaros ~]$ 

this will unmount the cifs mounts before the network goes down. Thanks.

Board footer