You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-27 16:29:45

vikyboss

[SOLVED] How to startup Nvidia at the boot time?

This is my first post in this forum, first of all I must have to say Arch linux rocks!

Problem is that the settings I save in nvidia-settings doesn't get restored after login. I have to go and start nvidia-settings in order for the settings to be loaded.

After searching through forum, I found /etc/rc.local is a good place to manually start nvidia-settings automatically after boot.

I tried putting these followings in the rc.local:

"nvidia-settings -l"
"nvidia-settings --load-config-only"

but nothing worked. Please help me solve this problem. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by vikyboss (2011-05-08 02:12:36)

#2 2010-12-27 16:45:49

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: [SOLVED] How to startup Nvidia at the boot time?

Do it in your wm's startup script instead, or just write yourself an xorg.conf.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2010-12-27 17:08:36

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

your aim should not be how to start up a program on every boot, (so that you can set the settings every time). You should be searching on why the settings don't get saved and go from there.

How are you starting up nvidia-settings. I think if you start with you user, it should create a .nvidia-settings file in your /home/username. which will then be used for every boot. (Correct me if I am wrong). Make sure that you click the button that says "Save settings" or something like that in the app. It has been a while since I used the proprietary drivers, so I might be off on a few things.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2010-12-27 18:27:28

vikyboss

Inxsible wrote:

your aim should not be how to start up a program on every boot, (so that you can set the settings every time). You should be searching on why the settings don't get saved and go from there.

How are you starting up nvidia-settings. I think if you start with you user, it should create a .nvidia-settings file in your /home/username. which will then be used for every boot. (Correct me if I am wrong). Make sure that you click the button that says "Save settings" or something like that in the app. It has been a while since I used the proprietary drivers, so I might be off on a few things.

True! I was trying to find the reason why nvidia-settings not loading automatically after reboot. I found somewhere, I should open the nvidia-settings app as root then click on the configuration save button(As you mentioned). I did it, still no luck. Moreover, I had this issue with the Fedora 13 and 14 and finally I switched to Arch and found that this problem seem to persist, but not in Ubuntu. Thanks for the quick reply!

#5 2010-12-27 18:29:39

vikyboss

Mr.Elendig wrote:

Sorry, I don't know how to do any of these. Is there any site or tutorial on that. I am a newbie to Arch linux and scripting. Thanks for the quick reply!
By the way my windows manager is Nautilus as I use gnome.

Last edited by vikyboss (2010-12-27 18:40:05)

#6 2010-12-27 18:59:28

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Your best bet is to read wiki guide on xorg...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg

Mr Green

#7 2010-12-27 19:03:45

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

vikyboss wrote:
Mr.Elendig wrote:

Sorry, I don't know how to do any of these. Is there any site or tutorial on that. I am a newbie to Arch linux and scripting. Thanks for the quick reply!

Nautilus is not a window manager.

And for gnome: System -> Preferences -> Starrtup applications   or something like that.
(I would just edit xorg.conf instead though)

Btw, if you run nvidia-settings as root, then you can tell it to make a xorg.conf for you.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#8 2010-12-27 19:12:19

vikyboss

Mr.Elendig wrote:
vikyboss wrote:
Mr.Elendig wrote:

Nautilus is not a window manager.

And for gnome: System -> Preferences -> Starrtup applications   or something like that.
(I would just edit xorg.conf instead though)

Btw, if you run nvidia-settings as root, then you can tell it to make a xorg.conf for you.

I did try that I opened the nvidia app as root, and I changed brightness and contrast then applied the settings. There is an option called X Server Display configuration, which have an option called Save to X Configuration file(which saves settings to "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"). But after a reboot this brightness and contrast are reset to default values.

#9 2010-12-27 19:41:33

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Hmm... I do this on a box that outputs to an SDTV so that the overscan value gets loaded.

1) Run nvidia-settings and customize (this writes ~/.nvidia-settings-rc
2) Create ~/.config/autostart/nvidia.desktop that contains the following:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=nvidia-settings -l

That should do it.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#10 2010-12-27 20:36:37

vikyboss

graysky wrote:

Hmm... I do this on a box that outputs to an SDTV so that the overscan value gets loaded.

1) Run nvidia-settings and customize (this writes ~/.nvidia-settings-rc
2) Create ~/.config/autostart/nvidia.desktop that contains the following:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=nvidia-settings -l

That should do it.

Still no luck. I tried saving the nvidia-settings-rc file from nvidia app. Then created the nvidia.desktop file. But still it doesn't work. I don't know why it doesn't even work with rc.local which should do all automatic running of script at every login.

#11 2010-12-27 21:07:33

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

You really need to read up nvidia and xorg in wiki

Can you post

ls -l .nvidia-settings-rc

MrG

Mr Green

#12 2010-12-27 21:08:29

Gusar

It won't work with rc.local, because that file is executed before the nvidia module loads, which is at start of X. The method graysky describes should work. But only if you have run nvidia-settings as user, not as root, so that the file will be in your home dir. Did you do that? IF that doesn't work and if using the Gnome control center (what Mr.Elendig describes) doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas.

#13 2010-12-27 21:37:08

vikyboss

Mr Green wrote:

You really need to read up nvidia and xorg in wiki

Can you post

ls -l .nvidia-settings-rc

MrG

This is what I get:

"-rw-r--r-- 1 praba users 1287 Dec 27 15:31 .nvidia-settings-rc"

#14 2010-12-27 21:43:47

proxima_centauri
Website

Alternatively, [in Gnome] you could create a new Startup Applications entry using the command "nvidia-settings --load-config-only"

Last edited by proxima_centauri (2010-12-27 21:44:10)

Thinkpad T61p - 15.4' WSXGA TFT - 2.5Ghz Intel Core2 Duo T9300 - 2X2GB Kingston RAM - 160GB 7200RPM - NVIDIA Quadro FX 570m - Intel 4965AGN

#15 2010-12-27 22:30:31

vikyboss

proxima_centauri wrote:

Alternatively, [in Gnome] you could create a new Startup Applications entry using the command "nvidia-settings --load-config-only"

Finally it is working! Thanks everyone. Here is what I did:

Went into System> Preference> Startup application and created an application with the following command:

"nvidia-settings -l" or "nvidia-settings --load-config-only"

What Mr.Elendig, Gravsky and proxima_centauri suggested worked. Except when I when I followed gravsky's method it automatically created a startup application in the Gnome startup applications, but the thing is it doesn't work(after reboot settings doesn't get loaded). But when I looked at the autostart folder, what ever application I created through Gnome startup application shows there, but they have few more lines than what gravsky said. For reference I'm posting one of them that was created automatically from Gnome startup application app(here I used "name: mynvidia & command: nvidia-settings -l"):

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=nvidia-settings -l
Hidden=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
Name[en_US]=mynvidia
Name=mynvidia
Comment[en_US]=
Comment=

Once again, thanks everyone!

Last edited by vikyboss (2010-12-27 22:38:10)

Board footer