You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-31 17:43:36

CPU Gastronomy

Apps recommendations for a laptop running on a SD card

Hi everyone,

Months ago, the hard drive of my netbook crashed.  Because 1.8" hard drives are rare and that SSD of the same size cost a lot, I decided to make it running on a SD card (class 10 for the speed at least ^^ ).
I followd the wiki page about it and installed openbox and SLim on it.
For now, I'm running wicd on it.

Now I'm wondering which softwares I could put it on it.
Because there are a huge number of these apps, I ask for recommendation while I'm searching and testing some of them.

I need them to be [bold]lightweight[/bold] (because it is running on a 16 Go Class 10 SD card).

So, what I need :

-A file manager;
-A VNC and RDP client;
-An e-mail/calendar client;
-A good code editor like notepad++ (I know that it is on Windows, but I use it even on Linux, but I want to avoid Wine on this laptop);
-An openVPN client;
-A terminal to remplace Xterminal;
-A lightweigt tray manager.

It is not much a problem if the softwares have not a GUI, but it is prefered.

Any other recommendations for this netbook would be appreciated too ^^.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CPU Gastronomy (2010-12-31 17:48:49)

#2 2010-12-31 17:53:05

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Apps recommendations for a laptop running on a SD card

File Manager -- coreutils FTW -- and the great thing is, you already have it installed. pcmanfm (if GUI is something that you can't live without)
VNC/RDP - Pass
Email/Calendar - Use Google Apps
editor - nano (you probably already have it installed), leafpad (if you want GUI)
terminal - rxvt-unicode (but pretty much anyone would do, since there isn't much difference in their memory footprints)
tray app - stalonetray or trayer

Since you use openbox, I would suggest you skip the panel and tray and simply assign workspaces for tray apps like Skype or pidgin. Then create keybindings to switch between workspaces. xbindkeys would be extremely useful for starting up apps. Installing dmenu, is also another option to start apps.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2010-12-31 17:59:04

CPU Gastronomy

By Google Apps, you mean to use the web interface ?
I want something that lets me consult my calendars and my e-mails offline, because I don't always have Wifi at my college.

Yes, I think it's a good idea to use different workspcaes for each applications.  I'll give a feedback.

Thanks, I'll try some of them.

Last edited by CPU Gastronomy (2010-12-31 18:01:22)

#4 2010-12-31 18:00:19

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Email client --- mutt
Calendar -

cal -3

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2010-12-31 18:03:58

CPU Gastronomy

Ha, just to correct one point : I meant a software that synchronise my remote calendars/agenda (like google calendar).

#6 2011-01-01 20:30:20

CPU Gastronomy

I love command line, but because I have to use some tools only with a GUI provided by my college and that I've got courses concentrated on making GUI, I will need a GUI interface.

For the code editor, because I wanted one with syntax highlighting and tab navigation, I found Geany (available in the community repository).
It mistly needs Gtk and almost nothing more, so it's not environment dependdan

For the two days I tested it, it goes pretty well.  Fast, lightweigt and there're a plenty bunch of fun features.
I'll use it the time I learn to use correctly and efficiently vi .

Thanks for rxvt-unicode, I like it more than xterminal (because of the tab feature) and pcmanfm is what I was searching for.

Thanks a lot.

#7 2011-01-03 18:45:35

CPU Gastronomy

I just discovered a page in the wiki that lists several lightweight applications :

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … plications

Board footer