You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-10 00:11:49

jskier
Website

NFS won't mount on laptop, fine on desktop [solved]

I'm trying to get my laptop to mount an NFS share on a NAS. I copied over the entries from my fstab on my desktop which mounts fine, however, when I attempt to mount on the laptop (after following the NFS client stuff on wiki of course):

[root@laptop media]# mount Shared/
mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking.
mount.nfs: Either use '-o nolock' to keep locks local, or start statd.
mount.nfs: an incorrect mount option was specified

When I try to pass -o nolock and manually mount the share without fstab, all go away except for the incorrect mount option was specificed error. The server complains about nfs 4 not being recognized (below).

svc: unknown version (4)

I assume it is trying to connect with version 4 when it should be connecting with version 3. Any reason why my laptop would do this but not my desktop? How do I force it to connect with version 3? Laptop and desktop are up to date, BFS kernel, same Arch repo's (current only, no testing).

Last edited by jskier (2011-01-13 01:38:24)

--
JSkier

#2 2011-01-12 15:30:01

whatshisname

Re: NFS won't mount on laptop, fine on desktop [solved]

I know this doesn't address your specific problem but once sshfs came out, I ceased using nfs.

Have you tried mounting it using sshfs?  After many iterations, here is the command I use to mount shares using sshfs now:

sshfs username@host:/var/www/html /mnt/mywebsite -o exec,umask=000,uid=1000,gid=1000,allow_other,reconnect,transform_symlinks,BatchMode=yes

The uid and gid are my local uid and gid.

Good luck.

#3 2011-01-13 01:40:18

jskier
Website

Re: NFS won't mount on laptop, fine on desktop [solved]

Marked as solved. I had to reinstall a few things (/etc/services was missing? for some unknown reason- https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=800247). After re-installation of a few packages NFS works like it should again.

--
JSkier

Board footer