You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-10 21:53:59

B-80

Can't login with gdm and get error message

Hey, I had an arch install up and running last night. I was tinkering with gnome themes, and installed a bunch and eventually tried to mess with the login screen. I installed something, I think like gnome-settings-manager or something like that, and it basically never worked. I tried to change the login BG and some stuff, but couldn't do it, the program would freeze.

About an hour later, I realized chrome wouldn't run, and I had to use the default browser. I restarted and then when I logged back in, I have a black login screen with an error that says "Install Problem: the configuration defaults for gnome power manager have not been installed correctly please contact your computer administrator."

When I try to login, it starts like it's going to work, but then brings me back to the same screen.

So basically I can't login at the moment, I tried pacman -Runs gnome gdm gnome-setting-manager gamin gksu

and then pacman -S gnome gdm gksu gamin

but that still gives me the same screen.

Any ideas where to go from here?

Edit: Decided to install KDE as a workaround, I'll see where that gets me, opening a new thread as my root partition is now full... and IDK how to fix that atm

Last edited by B-80 (2011-01-10 23:31:10)

#2 2011-01-11 18:49:05

kynikos
Wiki Admin

Re: Can't login with gdm and get error message

Just my 2 cents, seeing that nobody is replying...
You could try to create another user and see if it works well, just to understand if it's a problem in the user configuration files, or in the system configuration.
If the new user works well you could try to import your config files from your /home/user/ folder one by one and see which one messes up everything.
If the new user has the same problems, it's a more serious problem, maybe you could try to remove packages one by one (pacman -Rscn package), starting from the last one you installed (you can list packages by installation date using yaourt -Qe --date) until it works again (taking care of not removing essential packages).

#3 2011-01-11 19:36:08

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Can't login with gdm and get error message

B-80,

Starting multiple threads in every sub-forum is not going to get you any more answers. Please do not abandon your old posts and create new threads for the same problem. Please read our forum rules, if you haven't already.

Closing...

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer