You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-12 02:39:13

radix

OpenVZ based Arch Linux VPS's off-line at several hosting providers

Hello all,
I have a number of Arch Linux OpenVZ based VPS's with a good number of hosting providers. For the last year+ I have done a regular weekly update (pacman -Syu cron job) on all my VPS's. The last update round rendered all my VPS's unbootable on every host. It looks like the package update "linux-api-headers 2.6.36.2-1" does not play well with the kernels that have OpenVZ support baked in. Currently I have VPS's offline with Virpus and ZoomVPS/BoostHosting amongst others. Virpus and Zoom have booth been rather unresponsive for a number of days now. I have to think other Arch VPS users are feeling this because at lest one VM was nearly a brand new vanilla install and was impact just like the others. Are there any other Arch users out there effect by this? Have any hosting providers found a fix? Any info would be great.

#2 2011-01-12 03:02:04

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: OpenVZ based Arch Linux VPS's off-line at several hosting providers

15 seconds of google searching:
https://forum.ramhost.us/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=408

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2011-01-12 03:08:34

lifeafter2am

Why would you set a cron job to do a system update for you?  Sounds a little dangerous for any OS running a live server.

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#4 2011-01-12 03:12:42

radix

lifeafter2am wrote:

Why would you set a cron job to do a system update for you?  Sounds a little dangerous for any OS running a live server.

These are not production e-commerce servers or anything like that. They are used just as a platform for little projects I am working on for my self and at $5 a month or less these VPS's are no real commitment.

#5 2011-01-12 03:14:40

radix

cactus wrote:

I guess your 15 seconds of google searching was more productive then my like apparently less effective hour. Thanks for the link!

#6 2011-01-12 04:46:58

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Sure thing. I didn't mean "15 seconds of googling" in a "omg you didn't look" kind of way, more in a "here is what I turned up after a cursory search, and it seemed relevant but it might not be useful".

smile

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#7 2011-01-12 08:33:13

wonder
Developer
Website

@radix is better to subscribe to our news feed. it was announced long before the update was pushed.

For example, i had time to build my own glibc version

I hope you learn your lesson and stop using pacman -Syu in a cron job

Last edited by wonder (2011-01-12 08:33:38)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#8 2011-01-14 19:28:23

radix

My hosts would not upgrade and or spoof their kernel on my node so to solve my situation I restored an older backup and followed these directions (http://irony.at/archlinux-openvz-glib) ignoring upgrades to glibe (IgnorePkg), installing a custom build of glib and then applying regular updates. My systems back online and I have learned my lesson about pacman -Syu cron jobs. Sure does make you think that Xen-HVM hosting might be worth the minimal additional cost.

#9 2011-01-14 19:50:22

wonder
Developer
Website

oh, my packages are popular big_smile

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#10 2011-01-14 19:51:46

radix

wonder wrote:

oh, my packages are popular big_smile

and good smile   Thanks!

Board footer