You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-14 12:28:24

gazj
Website

Migrating server from .pst, help please

Current situation

Server stores pst files in say /srv/mail/username.pst
Each client machine uses the pst file in a windows share on the server.  Each client has the stored SMTP and POP settings.  Some PST's can be opened on more than one machine.
PROBLEM - I rsync these files over a ssh connection to a remote machine.  Some of theese PST's are a 200M sync everytime someone recieves one email, not bandwidth friendly!

Proposed situation, is it possible, ideas on how wo implement.

Server stores mail using mbox or other linux (per mail rsync) system?  Ideas on best?
Server holds pop and smtp settings per user.
Server periodically downloads pop mail into users inbox.
Client machines now only have to have an imap account to server. (can folder structures still be uses, what will I lose from the standrard pst system?)
Mirror server now only has individual mails to rsync.

AFAIK, for know hosting mail (i.e doing away with the pop service is out of the question), but easy upgrade to such a system would be a good idea.
KISS rather than complex, I am talking about 6 accounts, I don't want mysql and other fancy stuff if possible, although spam filter maybe helpful.

Any ideas, gotchas, people who have implemented similiar systems, please lend me your xp.

Last edited by gazj (2011-01-14 12:30:42)

#2 2011-01-14 15:50:05

zenlord
Website

Re: Migrating server from .pst, help please

Our small office has the following setup:

* Server is setup with maildir and serves IMAP (exim4 and dovecot)
* mail is fetched from # accounts via fetchmail (but I heard getmail is also good for this)
* smtp (not sure what we use here)

I don't think it could get any more KISS smile

#3 2011-01-15 06:31:06

gazj
Website

Re: Migrating server from .pst, help please

Thank you for the pointers.  This is along the lines of what I want to do.  Have you any guides etc that you followed or can suggest.  No doubt the wiki has some great information.  Anyone know if I can use the external smtp server on a per user basis?  I.e the server sends on the users behalf using there smtp details

Board footer