You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-17 08:14:16

Digit

a couple issues configuring news ticker

work in progress....  thinking out loud....

configuring news

okies...

so, i'm trying to get "news" the rss newsfeed ticker configured with xmonad.

for testing purposes, i thought i'd see if i could just replace tint2 with news, and it should fit snuggly along the bottom of my screen, working with the whole EWMH thing.

i restarted xmonad with it in place... no joy.  it's possitioning seems to override it.

also, the configuration i set up in preferences reverted to default... i then noticed the save button, so saved my configuration, and tried again... but what's this!?  the configuration for some bizarre borkage reason, has not only been saved to ~/.news/news_config, but also the two newsfeed files in there too!   so now my ticker scrolls the text "-deslay=7 -shiftfont=1 -font"
hmm
and furthering the confusion, the news_xml_dump that was already there, now seems to be accompanied by news_url_list now that i've tried the open rss feed.  hmm   ...which isnt exactly working as it should either... loads of html code showing up in it.
the dump files now manage to get populated by the links in news_url_list, but restarting/reloading still seems to bring me to an empty ticker.

so...
the stuff i'm feeling rather stuck on, scratching my head at:

how to get news configured without the subscribed feeds being incorrectly overwritten with the config

and how to get news to play nice with xmonad n fit in an apropriate managehook/avoidstrut/whatever, rather than floating/tiling.

a second avoid strut along the top of the screen with news would be cool (tint2 being on the bottom).

the main relevent bit of my xmonad.hs in current attempt state:

main = do
    xmproc <- spawnPipe "/usr/bin/news /home/digit/.news/news_conf"
    xmonad $ ewmh desktopConfig
        { manageHook = manageDocks <+> myManageHook -- make sure to include myManageHook definition from above
                        <+> manageHook desktopConfig
        , layoutHook = avoidStruts  $  layoutHook defaultConfig { layoutHook = myLayout } --see "myLayout" bellow

i need a fresh perspective on this.

Last edited by Digit (2011-01-17 10:38:07)

fave quote of the mo': "Man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's a heaven for." - Robert Browning

Board footer