You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-19 05:32:23

DorianGraph

[SOLVED] xmonad starts but can not do anything

Hello!

I've setup a spare computer here with archlinux and I'm loving it so far and have learnt much. I've only run into a few small things that at first didn't work but I was able to figure it out and I now have SSH, FTP, httpd, rtorrent, irssi, etc all working fine..

I wanted to install a WM and openbox works but I decided to try xmonad (A tiling WM) and it starts with a blank screen (Cream coloured background) and the blinking block thing you see on terminal lines and I can type things but if I type a command it doesn't do anything.

I also hit ALT+SHIFT+ENTER which makes a new terminal which instantly closes. If I press this several times it creates several new terminals and for a split second it has them all automatically tiling but they instantly close.

Any ideas? hmm

Last edited by DorianGraph (2011-01-20 15:08:35)

#2 2011-01-19 05:42:04

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] xmonad starts but can not do anything

Have a look at the wiki page and also the tutorial for XMonad, listed at the bottom

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xmonad

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-01-19 05:43:54

sw2wolf
Website

Here is a xmoand.hs sample, you can customize it .

http://hpaste.org/42826/xmoonad_configure_sample

e^(π⋅i) + 1 = 0

#4 2011-01-19 06:38:48

hellnest
Website

@sw2wolf
Thanks to pointing to such a nice site, it can be usefull for me also to take a look if my config is optimized or not ^^

Go to xmonad wiki, there's already put a "template" that will work for you. Blank screen is mean your xmonad is running. Try to hit "ALT+ENTER",

You can start here http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmon … ig_archive

Google and wiki is a really can be your best friend when configuring xmonad and other WM smile

Last edited by hellnest (2011-01-19 06:43:30)

roll Snapping my own life roll
hmmgithubhmm
coolMyBlogcool

#5 2011-01-19 11:29:50

DorianGraph

Quick replies! Those configs look fantastic.

I've tried the various things mentioned (Thank you and like I said, making a new terminal closes instantly so no matter how many times I hit ALT+ENTER nothing will happen and I used Google..) but it seems no matter what xmonad.hs (The default or anything else) it doesn't function correctly and I think this is the main reason:

/home/hari/.xmonad/xmonad-x86_64-linux: executeFile: permission denied (Permission denied)

I've also seen some error quickly pop up (but be hidden quickly again) about /user/bin/ld and ld has something to do with which type (32 vs 64) packages are used (?). I'll also add in that I'm using the xinit xmonad command to start xmonad, from terminal. I haven't yet put it in a script to be automatically started up because I wanted to test it out first (I've also been trying gnome, openbox, etc) - could that be my problem, it has to be in .xinitrc?

H9Who.jpg

(That's through putty so I can take a screenshot otherwise I'm at the actual computer using xmonad, not through putty in case anyone think that's why, hah)

What does that mean and how can I fix it? I've tried searching and I wasn't able to find something.

Last edited by DorianGraph (2011-01-20 05:59:12)

#6 2011-01-20 15:08:11

DorianGraph

My hunch was correct, starting xmonad through .xinitrc causes no problems. I'd like to figure out why it had problems when doing xinit xmonad because every other WM I have tried (awesome, etc) works.

Well, solved!

Board footer