You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-19 07:28:49

Murray_B

"Perfect" mounting

I just updated to xfce 4.8 and thunar became really slow in some situations. So I am thinking about switching to another filemanager and maybe openbox as  windowmanager. I was thinking about it and saw one big problem: The mounting and unmounting of devices. KDE, Gnome and xfce care about it, you can mount and unmount CDs or USB-sticks in the filemanager, like in Microsoft Windows, everything is easy. 10 years ago I was only using fstab-entries and the mount/umount-command, but I thought, that is a bit too old-fashioned.I read about udev-rules, udisk, udiskie, the depraced hal and much more and found out, that it's quite complicated to just plug a device/insert a disk and get it mounted and have an easy possibility to unmount it, maybe a button somewhere. At the moment I tend to put all my cdroms, usb-sticks and usb-harddisks into fstab and mount them manually or maybe with menu-entries in openbox...

So here's my question:
How do you manage mounting and unmounting? Which filemanager do you use and how is it integrated in it? Do you have some unmount-buttons anywhere?
And what are the advantages of your solution?

#2 2011-01-19 07:58:50

ryeguy146

Re: "Perfect" mounting

I just use the command line.

sudo mount /dev/sdc4 /media/backup

Generally, if there's something that I need to mount often, it will have an entry in my /etc/fstab file. In any case, I've always found the command line to be the place to do mounting. I have a file manager installed (qtfm), but I think that I have used it once. No buttons, just a single line in a terminal. And it takes only as long as it takes you to type it out. In Ubuntu (for others), I have written udev rules that automatically mount USB 3G network thingies, however.

Last edited by ryeguy146 (2011-01-19 07:59:53)

#3 2011-01-19 08:11:45

hellnest
Website

for more easy solution, if you want to mount a fixed drive or your personal drive, put it on your bashrc something like this

alias usb='sudo mount /dev/sdb /media/usb'
alias hdd1='sudo mount /dev/sda5 /media/hdd1'
alias umusb='sudo umount /dev/sdb'
alias umhd1='sudo umount /dev/sda5'

No more pain smile, you can make it as a startup script also on XFCE. For fileManager, since i use Ranger, it's in Community repo. It's a ncurses based filemanager with vim style operation. Fast without any noticeable startup. smile

roll Snapping my own life roll
hmmgithubhmm
coolMyBlogcool

#4 2011-01-19 10:32:14

tomk
Forum Fellow

udiskie for me - perfect with openbox.

#5 2011-01-19 11:37:06

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

I just let Nautilus handle it -- mainly for the easy of mounting remote shares (CIFS, SSHFS and NFS). This is the main thing keeping me from moving to a more lightweight desktop... My work these days is a primarily Windows based network, so being able to quickly and easily mount CIFS shares is useful. And I like to keep my computers as similar as possible between work and home etc.

Ironically, when I insert a CD, I usually don't want it to automount.

#6 2011-01-19 17:54:57

anonymous_user

I use a udev rule to handle automounting and the terminal to handle unmounting. Its far from perfect but if anyone knows something better...

#7 2011-01-19 23:56:50

tomk
Forum Fellow

udiskie = something better. smile

Seriously, I used to have a udev rule too, then it failed to mount my new phone, no matter what I tried. Installed udiskie, and all's well again.

#8 2011-01-20 00:14:07

ninian
Website

+1 Udiskie is great! The only problem I've ever had was mounting two USB hard drives - they weren't flagged as "removable" so Udiskie wouldn't handle them. I fixed this by modifying the source of device.py (from udiskie 0.3.6-1) thus:

def is_handleable(self):
if self.is_removable():
    if self.is_filesystem():
        return True
    else:
        return False

wink

#9 2011-01-20 00:57:25

anonymous_user

tomk wrote:

Can I use it to mount disks at boot? And will it automount new devices when I plug them in?

#10 2011-01-20 02:08:18

madalu

+1 for udiskie

In fact, I just added an openbox pipe menu for managing udiskie to the wiki. (Note: it assumes rox as a FM and notify-send for notifications, but these can be easily changed.)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udiskie#Openbox

anonymous_user wrote:
tomk wrote:

Can I use it to mount disks at boot? And will it automount new devices when I plug them in?

When invoked, udiskie will automount all removable media under /media/, using either disk labels or the device name. So if you put it in .xinitrc, it should do its thing when you start x.

It also detects when something is plugged in.

Last edited by madalu (2011-01-20 02:12:17)

#11 2011-02-13 14:33:40

CerebrosuS

+1 for UMounter - https://github.com/CerebrosuS/UMounter

ok it is written by me, sry ....

But it automount with udisk und is written in the programming language c. Features like configuration for running custom script is also planned but not implemented yet.

But everyone is invited to help smile

Greez

Board footer