You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-20 03:43:30

Ipozya

[SOLVED] Network manager only works as root

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to arch and have been quite impressed over the past few days over all it has to offer.  Everything has been running quite smoothly and I am now in the process of setting up wireless.  I installed network manager and was able to connect to a wireless network as root.  For my regular user, however, I am running into some issues.  First one was that the nm-applet could not be opened in fluxbox.  I received the following error:

** (nm-applet:1576): WARNING **: <WARN> request_name(): Could not acquire the NetworkManagerUserSettings service.
Error: (9) Connection ":1.27" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings" due to security policies in the configuration file

I "fixed" this by adding the following to /etc/dbus-1/system.d/nm-applet.conf.  Original credit goes to the user in this thread (I only slightly modified his code): https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=63576

<!-- hack -->
       <policy user="myusername">
                <allow own="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings"/>
                <allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings"/>
                <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings"/>

<deny send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSetting.Secrets"/>
        </policy>
<!-- end of hack -->

Now the applet shows up for my regular user, the problem being that it doesn't connect to the wireless networks (only wired).  Whenever I try to connect to wireless, nothing happens (the symbol doesn't change in any way, i.e. the green spheres should start circling); I am still able to succesfully connect to wireless using root.  Does anyone know what the source of this issue may be?  Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by Ipozya (2011-01-20 04:49:55)

#2 2011-01-20 04:48:51

Ipozya

Re: [SOLVED] Network manager only works as root

Solved: Had to install consolekit and add "ck-launch-session" to my .xinitrc file when starting fluxbox.

Edit: Please note that this also allowed me to remove the previous change to nm-applet.conf (no longer necessary)!

Last edited by Ipozya (2011-01-20 04:54:20)

Board footer