You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-23 02:38:55

Cynical

Arch not recognizing raid array [solved]

I just built a new computer with two 1TB drives that I decided to put together in a RAID0 setup using my AMD chipset's "fakeraid" controller. (I chose this over using software raid in Linux just to have it above the OS layer, to simplify things if I use another OS) For some strange reason when I boot the Arch x64 net install disc, it recognizes my two drives individually as sda and sdb rather than a single raid array. When using the Ubuntu installer disc it correctly recognizes the raid. Does this have something to do with using Gparted in Ubuntu and Fdisk in Arch? Clearly the driver for the raid is being loaded because if it wasn't the drives wouldn't be recognized at all. So I'm thinking this is an issue caused by a limitation of fdisk but I don't really understand why.

Last edited by Cynical (2011-01-24 15:29:49)

#2 2011-01-23 03:25:46

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Arch not recognizing raid array [solved]

This is why I avoid on-board mobo "RAID"... They're invariably weird and strange....

Perhaps boot an Ubuntu Live-CD and have a look at what kernel modules it is loading with `lsmod` then load the same driver in Arch?

#3 2011-01-24 15:28:59

Cynical

Re: Arch not recognizing raid array [solved]

Now that I'm in Ubuntu I've noticed that gparted also shows sda and sdb individually rather than the array, and for both drives the space appears to be unallocated. I still don't understand why it is interpreted differently by the installer... Whelp, I'll probably just follow your example and create a software raid in Arch. Thanks for the push smile

Board footer