You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-23 22:21:32

usuario1986

Undo an update?

Hi everybody.
A couple of days ago I did a "pacman -Syu", which updated my XFCE to 4.8.
Well, the problem in few words is: the update sucks.
Now my desktop takes more time to load at startup, and it doesn't load the things I had previously configured to start. I don't have the trashbin and it doesn't seem to mount any removable device.
Looks like XFCE 4.8 is giving many people problems. In the forum there are several post on this issue, none of them with a simple solution. I mean, how can it be, in the year 2011, that one updates his system and then is not able to use removable devices without passing a couple of hours in forums looking for a workaround?
I don't like at all what I have now in my pc, since before the update everything was marvelous: it loaded very fast at startup, whit the programs I wanted, no problems with removable devices, I had a trashbin and all looked fine. SO, is it possible to undo the "pacmna -Syu" ?

#2 2011-01-23 22:23:11

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Undo an update?

look into Arch Rollback Machine. Search the forums and it will help you downgrade in a way you want.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-01-23 23:11:34

karol
Archivist

Inxsible wrote:

look into Arch Rollback Machine. Search the forums and it will help you downgrade in a way you want.

https://github.com/pbrisbin/scripts/blo … /downgrade

#4 2011-01-24 00:48:38

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

usuario1986 wrote:

Hi everybody.
A couple of days ago I did a "pacman -Syu", which updated my XFCE to 4.8.
Well, the problem in few words is: the update sucks.
Now my desktop takes more time to load at startup, and it doesn't load the things I had previously configured to start. I don't have the trashbin and it doesn't seem to mount any removable device.
Looks like XFCE 4.8 is giving many people problems. In the forum there are several post on this issue, none of them with a simple solution. I mean, how can it be, in the year 2011, that one updates his system and then is not able to use removable devices without passing a couple of hours in forums looking for a workaround?
I don't like at all what I have now in my pc, since before the update everything was marvelous: it loaded very fast at startup, whit the programs I wanted, no problems with removable devices, I had a trashbin and all looked fine. SO, is it possible to undo the "pacmna -Syu" ?

That's what paid support is for. I believe current rates are $45 an hour (please convert using current exchange rates plus a 2% service charge for currency exchange flunctuations).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2011-01-24 21:59:57

usuario1986

quote: That's what paid support is for.

Mmm... I think I would ask my money back rather than support if it were the case.
What if I need urgently a file in my flashdrive? I could not afford the time to look for some tech support guy, explain my problem, and wait it to be repaired. I guess the part of my comment that you remark sounds a bit childish but, my point is that I find very disapointing that an update seems to have spoiled my system, when XFCE 4.6 worked really fine before. It took me a good while to get everything I wanted in place, and then along comes an update and mess it all up. It's even kind of frustrating.
For the moment I'll try to "undo" the update. If it doesn't work, I think I'll pick another desktop environment. A real pitty, I was just so happy with my XFCE.

#6 2011-01-24 22:02:09

anonymous_user

There are plenty of other distros that ship with Xfce 4.6. And if you are worried about updates like this, perhaps Debian would be a better distro for you.

Last edited by anonymous_user (2011-01-24 22:02:50)

#7 2011-01-24 22:06:06

karol
Archivist

1. You don't *have to* update, especially if you need your system up and running w/o any unforeseen obstacles.
2. You see a big update e.g. xfce 4.6 => 4.8 - think twice. Create a snapshot, log the current (pre-update) packagelist so a rollback (if needed) is as easy as possible.
3. Use btrfs / some kind of staging system.

#8 2011-01-24 22:08:55

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Arch Linux is a rolling release distro and very much bleeding edge, but any problems are short lived.

Undoing, downgrading and alike only cause more problems down the road.

Any information on your problem would help developers and other users, maybe even summit a bug report

I never charge for my time on forums I just try to help when I can.

Welcome to Arch

Mr Green

#9 2011-01-25 00:10:49

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Maybe I missed something in this thread, but I'm surprised that no one gave the simplest answer:

Just re-install the old packages. They should still be in /var/cache/pacman/pkg. You can re-install them with "pacman -U /path/to/package".

If the issues were caused by upstream changes in the package then contact the developers or file an upstream bug report. If the issues are caused by the way it was packaged, file a bug report here (the link is in the nav bar). Bitching and ranting on the forum neither solves the problem nor incites people to help you, so just skip that step next time.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#10 2011-01-25 00:20:55

karol
Archivist

@Xyne
The downgrade script does take into account /var/cache/pacman/pkg packages.

Board footer