You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-25 16:31:40

Dethredic
Website

netcfg connection problems

My university has two different wireless networks, and unsecure one (uw-wireless), and a secure one (eduroam). I will try to describe my problem with scenarios:

1:
Connect to a non university network
try to use my netcfg eduroam profile -> fail
connect to the unsecure network
try to use my netcfg eduroam profile -> success
Connect to a non university network
try to use my netcfg eduroam profile -> fail

wait x days, without connecting to a network

So basically, if I connect to a non-university network I need to connect to the unsecure network before my netcfg profile will work.

[phil@pwned ~]$ sudo netcfg -r eduroam
> Profile not connected
:: eduroam up                                                                                                                                                                                        [BUSY]  > wpa_supplicant did not start, possible configuration error
                                                                                                                                                                                                     [FAIL]
[phil@pwned ~]$ sudo netcfg eduroam
:: eduroam up                                                                                                                                                                                        [BUSY]  > DHCP IP lease attempt failed.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     [FAIL]
:: eduroam up                                                                                                                                                                                        [BUSY]  > DHCP IP lease attempt failed.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     [FAIL]
:: eduroam up                                                                                                                                                                                        [BUSY] Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
> DHCP IP lease attempt failed.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     [FAIL]
> Profile not connected
                                                                                                                                                                                                     [FAIL]
[phil@pwned ~]$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
> Profile not connected
                                                                                                                                                                                                     [FAIL]
[phil@pwned ~]$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
[phil@pwned ~]$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid uw-wireless
[phil@pwned ~]$ sudo dhcpcd wlan0
dhcpcd[6317]: version 5.2.9 starting
dhcpcd[6317]: wlan0: rebinding lease of 192.168.0.16
dhcpcd[6317]: wlan0: broadcasting for a lease
dhcpcd[6317]: wlan0: offered 172.21.18.77 from 129.97.128.9
dhcpcd[6317]: wlan0: ignoring offer of 172.21.19.170 from 129.97.129.9
dhcpcd[6317]: wlan0: acknowledged 172.21.18.77 from 129.97.128.9
dhcpcd[6317]: wlan0: checking for 172.21.18.77
dhcpcd[6317]: wlan0: leased 172.21.18.77 for 600 seconds
dhcpcd[6317]: forked to background, child pid 6338
:: eduroam up                                                                                                                                                                                        [DONE]
[phil@pwned ~]$

Here is my profile:

[phil@pwned network.d]$ cat eduroam
CONNECTION="wireless"
INTERFACE=wlan0
SCAN="no"
SECURITY="wpa-config"
ESSID="UOBWLAN"
IP="dhcp"
TIMEOUT=30
WPA_CONF="/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"
[phil@pwned network.d]$ cat /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
#eapol_version=1
#ap_scan=1
#fast_reauth=1

network={
        ssid="eduroam"
        identity="**@**.ca"
        password="***"
        proto=RSN
        key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
        pairwise=CCMP
        group=CCMP
        eap=PEAP
        ca_cert="/usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/GlobalSign_Root_CA.crt"
        phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"

#       ca_cert="/usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/GlobalSign_Root_CA.crt"
#       key_mgmt=IEEE8021X WPA-NONE WPA-EAP
#       eap=PEAP
#       phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
#       priority=2
#       auth_alg=OPEN
}

I have tried several profiles from online and they have all had the same problem.

#2 2011-01-25 20:50:07

Leonid.I

Re: netcfg connection problems

Have you tried removing ESSID and SCAN entries in eduroam? Also, I assume that your wpa_supplicant.conf is OK. Have you checked that manually with wpa_supplicant?

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

Board footer