You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-28 00:59:18

gauthma
Website

[Solved - KDE 4.6] No desktop effects, but still have 3D render

I have an nvidia graphics card, with the nvidia binary driver installed, and everything worked smoothly, until I updated to Kde4.6 just now. After a few seconds where everything looked normal (desktop effects enabled just as before), the screen went beserk, and a popup informed me that the desktop effects were too slow, and thus have been deactivated. Without those effects, everything works fine. If I try to re-enable them in System Settings, it now tells it can't, it will revert to previous configuration, and should try to see what's wrong with my Xorg settings. I don't think there's anything wrong with them, but still, here is what I think is the relevant part:

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 9500 GT"
    Option         "RenderAccel" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "1"
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
    #Option         "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +1280+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    Option         "MetaModes" "DFP: 1280x1024 +0+0,CRT: 1280x1024 +1280+0;DFP: 1280x1024,CRT: NULL;DFP: NULL,CRT: 1280x1024"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection

Help, ideas, anyone?
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I restarted X, and then was able to enable desktop effects again, and so I did. And I just discovered how to trigger the "beserkness": just press Alt-Tab repeatedly. I will show a transparent preview of the window, and then all of a sudden, it freezes for a moment, then comes back, but way way slow...

Last edited by gauthma (2011-01-29 00:07:59)

#2 2011-01-29 00:07:32

gauthma
Website

Re: [Solved - KDE 4.6] No desktop effects, but still have 3D render

I've been able to narrow it down even further: it appears that the crash happens when the effect for window switching is box switch. I changed it to Cover Switch, and everything is working properly. I haven't tried any others, for obvious reasons, but should anyone else have the same problem, here's a hint to a possible solution. Anyway, I'm closing this, and probably submit a bug to the KDE folks...

Board footer