You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-28 20:36:46

Matsjo

What does a new non-DE user need? | Help for a Wiki page

Hey Archers,

I'm using Arch with the Compiz Standalone Window Manager and I need some help for a project.
It turns out (who knew) that computers need a lot more to run smoothly than just a desktop and applications. You need network managers, gtk themes and much much more. Now, Desktop Environments such as GNOME and KDE provide a lot of these programs built-in, good for them, but I'm looking to build my system as dependency-free as I can and the big DE's don't really provide that. Especially GNOME just ropes me in whenever I want to use the tiniest piece of it (darn you gnome-keyring).

So I come to you fora, with a quest for information. I want to compile an overview of essential and useful applications with minimal dependencies that allow a CompizIndy user to build his system freely. And if I get enough information, I want to turn it into its own page for the Wiki so it becomes easier to get started with a birds-eye view of what you need to flesh out your system (not exclusively for CompizIndy btw). So please help me!

What applications/daemons/tools should a new system install? I'm not asking which ones are the best or worst or your favorites, just which kinds do you need --that aren't covered in the install guide--?

For example it's advisable to get:
Panel/dock
desktop manager
network manager
compositing manager
a tool for managing removable devices (ntfs-3g etc)
a packer/unpacker
a screensaver
power management
alt-F2 runcommand
custom keybindings
a user switch/logout manager
a volume manager
etc.

So what do you recommend? What do you need to get up and going?

Hoping to hear from you guys and girls,
Matthias

PS: if I'm doubling up on anything, please let me know and save me effort and embarassment ^_^

Last edited by Matsjo (2011-01-28 20:37:26)

#2 2011-01-28 20:44:36

defears

Re: What does a new non-DE user need? | Help for a Wiki page

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … plications

Plus xbindkeys, cause it works with all window managers.

#3 2011-01-28 20:45:18

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

There are many threads on this, although individual ones asking for "the best app to do XXX". You could try searching those. Also Search for the LnF Awards threads. you might find a few ideas there. We also have wiki pages for light-weight applications which might be useful

Panel/dock  none
desktop manager none
network manager netcfg
compositing manager none or xcompmgr (for basic compositing)
a tool for managing removable devices (ntfs-3g etc) udiskie or udev rules or devmon
a packer/unpacker coreutils eg - tar, bzip etc with an alias called "ex" in .aliases
a screensaver none
power management ???
alt-F2 runcommand gmrun
custom keybindings xbindkeys
a user switch/logout manager none
a volume manager see udiskie....

BTW, if this is for you, then simply install Arch and use a non DE based WM --- eventually you will figure out what you are missing

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2011-01-29 07:59:07

moetunes

That list looks like what comes with a desktop environment... I don't use anything from that list but I don't use a DE to keep the system light.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Board footer