You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-02 13:48:48

kane77

Dual display settings troubles

I have nVidia gpu on my laptop and setup as follows:
@work I have 2 external displays:
1680x1050 and 1050x1680 because TwinView is not able to rotate single display, or at least I'm not aware of it, I use Xinerama, which is causing some (a lot) slowness..
@home I only use my laptop's primary display..

Now my problem is how to be able to switch between those two configurations. What I do is I suspend laptop connected to external displays and wake up at home with blank screen. The only thing I can do is to switch to tty1 and restart X. The same situation happens when I come to work - I wake up laptop and only primary display is used and again I have to restart x/logout.

Is there any way to switch between primary and external displays?
Alternativelly is there any way to have only one display rotated while using twin view?

#2 2011-02-02 14:59:49

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Dual display settings troubles

man xrandr

for rotation of screens. I use it all the time. I don't use TwinView (but that may be because I have an ATI card wink ).

What are you using TwinView for?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-02-02 15:05:03

kane77

Inxsible wrote:
man xrandr

for rotation of screens. I use it all the time. I don't use TwinView (but that may be because I have an ATI card wink ).

What are you using TwinView for?

I use TwinView to have the two external monitors act as single workspace (so that I'm able to move windows from one to another etc.)
I am aware of xrandr, but as far as I've been able to find, xrandr is not able to rotate single display with TwinView (since twinview makes the two displays behave as single display/workspace)..

#4 2011-02-02 15:13:37

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

hmm, I was able to move windows between screens as well, but I was using a combination of xf86-video-ati (open source driver) and xrandr.

I was rotating the screen of only one monitor, because that monitor could be swiveled. (the other couldn't)

In any case, xrandr is still worth a try. If you search for my posts, you will find a bunch where I have my configs for my monitor in 10-monitor.conf file.

good luck.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2011-02-07 12:11:27

kane77

Inxsible wrote:

hmm, I was able to move windows between screens as well, but I was using a combination of xf86-video-ati (open source driver) and xrandr.

I was rotating the screen of only one monitor, because that monitor could be swiveled. (the other couldn't)

In any case, xrandr is still worth a try. If you search for my posts, you will find a bunch where I have my configs for my monitor in 10-monitor.conf file.

good luck.

After some time I found mentioned 10-monitor.conf, but if I use your setup (of course changing to my driver etc.) I get two separate screens and am not able to move windows from one to another.. So it seems that for dual monitor setup I have 2 choices, either to have Xinerama and be able to rotate single monitor and not be able to use composite (and have generally low performance), or to use TwinView and not be able to rotate single display.. I guess I'm going to use TwinView, since seeing window redraws on switching windows drive me crazy smile

Also with TwinView disper works, so I'm able to switch displays on the fly without x restarts!

Last edited by kane77 (2011-02-07 12:22:15)

Board footer