You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-04 18:51:30

shadyabhi
Website

Frequent Hangs & beeps on restart

My laptop has ATi Radeon HD 4500 series. I have xf86-video-ati installed.

The laptop hangs frequently, by freeze I mean Everything hangs. I cant boot switch to console using Ctrl+Alt+F{1..6}.
After I do a hard reset, I get beeps 2-3-4-3 which means "Display non-disposable segments" for my Phoenix motherboard.

There are times when I dont get a freezed system but I get kernel panic like this -> http://i.imgur.com/OKZdx.jpg
Sometimes, it also happens that I get the above screen at startup too.

I have tried searching google but I couldnt do anything much with that beep-code. (I am also not able to understand what that actually means).

I also had catalyst-hook installed earlier, in that also I had the same issue of hangs but I never got kernel panic.

Summary:

With xf86-video-ati: Kernel panic + frequent hangs + 2-3-4-3 beeps on startup.
With catalyst-hook: frequent hangs + 2-3-4-3 beeps on startup.

#2 2011-03-04 19:02:11

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Frequent Hangs & beeps on restart

The best place to start, when debugging problems is the logs

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-03-04 19:33:58

shadyabhi
Website

Inxsible wrote:

The best place to start, when debugging problems is the logs

Which logs do I need to post? Actually, the problem is that its not my laptop and errors might be hidden into populated logs.. So, how should I proceed?

#4 2011-03-04 20:53:34

lagagnon
Website

Beep codes mean you have a hardware fault - nothing to do with the OS. Those beep codes and kernel panics to me suggest faulty RAM. You can run memtest from the Arch CD or any other Live Linux CD or the UltimateBootCD to test your RAM - but I suspect that is your problem.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#5 2011-03-07 11:37:26

shadyabhi
Website

lagagnon wrote:

Beep codes mean you have a hardware fault - nothing to do with the OS. Those beep codes and kernel panics to me suggest faulty RAM. You can run memtest from the Arch CD or any other Live Linux CD or the UltimateBootCD to test your RAM - but I suspect that is your problem.

Windows7 runs on the same laptop without any issues so its sure to be some problem with faulty device drivers..

#6 2011-03-07 12:02:40

webofunni
Website

Hey,

Do you have another kernel in the system that you can boot, if so try that.

#7 2011-03-07 14:59:46

lagagnon
Website

shadyabhi wrote:

Windows7 runs on the same laptop without any issues so its sure to be some problem with faulty device drivers..

Are you dual booting Windows7 right now on that laptop without beep codes?

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#8 2011-03-07 15:17:01

shadyabhi
Website

lagagnon wrote:

Are you dual booting Windows7 right now on that laptop without beep codes?

Yes. Its a dual-boot (Windows 7 32-bit + ArchLinux 64-bit).
Windows7 32-bit  runs perfectly without any beep codes on that laptop.

Board footer