You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-07 01:11:45

fatjake

[SOLVED] Unable to build packages from AUR (build: command not found)

I recently hosed the filesystem on my arch install of ~8 months. I reinstalled arch today and didn't have many problems since I had backups of many important config files. Anyways, I still need to get a few programs installed from AUR, but nothing I get from AUR will build.

I download the tarball, extract into a folder in /home/myuser/builds and then go into that folder and run makepkg -s (as always)

It checks the files and extracts/downloads them. Then I get the following error message:

==> Starting build()...
/usr/bin/makepkg: line 741: build: command not found
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting...

I've run abs and I checked out the abs wiki page, I've also installed base-devel. I am not sure what else I need to do, the error message is not specific enough.

The packages I have been trying to install are      ttf-ms-fonts 2.0-7,      keepass 2.14-2, and I also tried ttf-vista-fonts 1-3. I am fairly certain that it is not a problem with the PKGBUILD files.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited by fatjake (2011-03-08 01:02:59)

#2 2011-03-07 01:34:36

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to build packages from AUR (build: command not found)

Update your system.

#3 2011-03-07 01:46:46

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=3035
Chances are, there is a problem (probably unidentifiable to the untrained eye) with your PKGBUILD.

EDIT: Or update.

Last edited by cesura (2011-03-07 01:48:29)

#4 2011-03-08 00:36:48

fatjake

System was already up to date (pacman -Syu). The PKGBUILDS are from the AUR and others are not having problems with them, I can pick any package from the AUR and get the same error (although the line number changes).

#5 2011-03-08 01:00:59

Allan
Pacman
Website

What version of makepkg do you have?   (makepkg --version).   It looks like you have a 3.3.x version to get that error on that line.   That is way out of date (as in almost 9 months....).

Edit: almost definitely your error.   None of the packages you mention failing have a build() function in the PKGBUILD.  That is only possible with pacman/makepkg-3.4+.   Update your system (try a different mirror....)

#6 2011-03-08 01:04:02

fatjake

Thanks for the help, but it seems that a reboot resolved the problem. At least, that is all that I can figure. The system is up to date, as it was netinstalled yesterday. Not sure what caused the problem but it is gone now.

#7 2011-03-08 02:06:20

fatjake

Actually, problem was not gone, it just didn't happen for a new package I tried with. I was still getting it with all others.

The problem was update all along. The mirror that I installed with is apparently very out of date, I had to comment that mirror out at the top of the mirrorlist file and uncomment another mirror. Problem solved.

#8 2011-03-08 02:44:44

cyrus
Website

Have you tried Yaourt?

#9 2011-03-08 04:19:00

fatjake

cyrus wrote:

Have you tried Yaourt?

Nope, haven't tried that, I think mainly because I wanted to learn how to use pacman and how to build using ABS. At this point I think I know how to use pacman/abs, as much as this thread might make it appear that I dont smile

I'll give it a try, as I frequently install software from AUR. In the past I think I let software from the AUR get outdated, Yaourt (clumsy name) sounds like it would help that a bit. Thanks!

Edit: BTW, I really love Arch. I tried it out on a flash drive about 8 months ago (maybe more), and after about 12 hours I was sold and installed it on the drive that Windows XP previously held. Even considering that I had many problems during the initial install, but they were all problems that caused me to learn and were easy to resolve. Seriously, I have lots of Windows tech experience, but only Arch forced me to learn Linux. I had tried Ubuntu previously but it was such a bore, and the problems tended to be hard to find solutions for. I try to convince my other Linux using friends to try arch, but they see it as too hands-on. I don't see it that way, it is very hands off after initial configuration, and the initial config only takes a week or less on the first try and a day and a half (or so) if you re-install. Having backups of your config files is of course a huge deal, and I am glad I had most of those.

Really, I love Arch Linux, it has taught me so much.

Last edited by fatjake (2011-03-08 04:25:15)

#10 2011-03-08 05:13:26

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

fatjake wrote:
cyrus wrote:

Have you tried Yaourt?

Nope, haven't tried that, I think mainly because I wanted to learn how to use pacman and how to build using ABS. At this point I think I know how to use pacman/abs, as much as this thread might make it appear that I dont smile

Good decision, too many users have never run makepkg before (or even know it exists).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#11 2011-03-08 05:16:28

Allan
Pacman
Website

And yaourt would not have fixed this issue...

Board footer