You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-11 17:57:45

Niamh

[SOLVED] Login without DM

I've installed ArchLinux + Fluxbox, and I'm quite satisfied with it, however there is a certain issue that I cannot resolve. I'd like to use text login, without DM obviously, and then automatically start fluxbox, however solutions like  modifying my ~/bash_profile weren't successful for some reason. I'm currently using autologin solution via /etc/inittab as suggested on arch wiki
x:5:once:/bin/su - -- PREFERRED_USER -l -c '/usr/bin/startx </dev/null' but that has become somewhat of a problem, considering my annoying roommate likes to exploit that roll . Usually, I'd keep trying to resolve this on my own, and I like learning about arch and linux in general, but this has become a matter of great emergency for me. After all, no one likes getting their privacy violated neutral

Last edited by Niamh (2011-03-11 23:53:12)

#2 2011-03-11 18:02:00

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Login without DM

so what is the problem with ~/.bash_profile ?

On login, you can have it start X automatically like so.

if [[ -z "$DISPLAY" ]] && [[ $(tty) = /dev/tty1 ]]; then
    xinit -- :0 2>/dev/null
    logout
fi

This simply makes sure that if the login is on tty1, then it will start X.
Make sure to change the inittab to start on runlevel 3 though.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-03-11 21:23:40

Niamh

Thank you smile  I think I messed something up with inittab runlevels... Anyhow, this works perfectly.

#4 2011-03-11 21:45:38

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Good smile  Mark thread as solved please.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer