You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-15 10:19:35

mlq
Website

jumanji - a web browser

jumanji - a web browser

jumanji is a highly customizable and functional web browser based on the libwebkit
web content engine and the gtk+ toolkit. The idea behind jumanji is a web browser
that provides a minimalistic and space saving interface as well as an easy usage that
mainly focuses on keyboard interaction like vimperator does.

Screenshots

vNTNqNA vNTNqNg vNTNqOA

Dependencies
  • libwebkit (>= 1.2.1)

• libsoup (>= 2.22.4)

• gtk2 (>= 2.18.6)

Installation
Development version

I would like to encourage you to give the development version (in the 'develop' branch of the git repository a shot
and to give some feedback on it right here in the forums or in our IRC channel.

Bugs & Features

We are very happy aboust constructive feedback, bug reports and feature requests, but we ask you to use
our bug tracker for filling in those. Please always state which version of jumanji
and its dependencies you are using.

Links

Last edited by mlq (2011-07-27 18:41:22)

#2 2011-03-15 10:21:10

mlq
Website

Re: jumanji - a web browser

F.A.Q.

How can i enable the hinting script?

#3 2011-03-15 13:53:05

karol
Archivist

What's wrong with https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=100505 ? Is this thread meant as a fresh start? Same for https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=115118 I guess.

Last edited by karol (2011-03-15 13:55:51)

#4 2011-03-15 14:01:36

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Yes. The old threads have been closed at neldoreth's request and version 2 threads are now here.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2011-03-15 14:33:33

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

some thumbnails in post 1 point to the wrong fullsize image

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#6 2011-03-15 21:17:39

ntness

Leaving Jumanji open to any webpage is causing ceaseless hard-drive thrashing here. Have tested with other browsers (several webkit/gecko alternatives) which don't have the issue. Running x86_64 arch, latest jumanji-git pull from aur, scripts/plugin blockers set to default values. Any ideas?

transcend to the fifth abode

#7 2011-03-16 13:14:55

kaptenen
Website

The AUR-link leads to Zathura-git.

#8 2011-03-17 17:28:08

pielgrzym

Strange - after upgrade my config from ~/.config/jumanji disappeared hmm wtf?

#9 2011-03-22 11:47:44

bangkok_manouel

i'm trying to get webGL support in my beloved jumanji so i'm using Martin's patch [1] to enable webGL in webkitgtk. patch applies fine to revision 81029, webkit with --enable-webgl builds fine but now, I've been told by Martin that I should "do something like this" in my browser code:

g_object_set(webkit_web_view_get_settings(webView), "enable-webgl", TRUE, NULL);

I know as much about C as I know how to make fire with snow so any help would be highly appreciated.

TIA.

[1] https://bug-31517-attachments.webkit.or … i?id=85810
from webkit bug report #31517 https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31517

/edit: clarification about where the code belongs

Last edited by bangkok_manouel (2011-03-22 11:50:21)

#10 2011-03-22 12:17:14

mlq
Website

Hello,

bangkok_manouel wrote:

edit: clarification about where the code belongs

It should be enough to apply the following patch to config.h:

diff --git a/config.def.h b/config.def.h
index 4d2901f..48a7a88 100644
--- a/config.def.h
+++ b/config.def.h
@@ -247,6 +247,7 @@ Setting settings[] = {
   {"download_dir",           &(download_dir),           NULL,                           's',  0, 0, 0, "The default download directory"},
   {"editor",                 &(spawn_editor),           NULL,                           's',  0, 0, 0, "Command to spawn the default editor"},
   {"encoding",               NULL,                      "default-encoding",             's',  0, 1, 0, "The default encoding to display text"},
+  {"enable_webgl",           NULL,                      "enable-webgl",                 'b',  0, 1, 0, "Enable webGL"},
   {"fantasy_font",           NULL,                      "fantasy-font-family",          's',  0, 1, 0, "The default fantasy font family"},
   {"font",                   &(font),                   NULL,                           's',  1, 0, 0, "The used font" },
   {"font_family",            NULL,                      "default-font-family",          's',  0, 1, 0, "The default font family"},

and then add the following line in your ~/.config/jumanji/jumanjirc:

set enable_webgl true

Best regards

#11 2011-03-22 12:24:20

bangkok_manouel

thank you very much mlq !

i'll try that as soon as I go back home.

#12 2011-03-22 17:11:58

bangkok_manouel

thank you very much again mlq. now, how awesome is that??
http://ompldr.org/vN3g1NQ/webGL.png

#13 2011-03-22 17:29:21

ANOKNUSA

This may have been covered in the previous thread, but where exactly is config.h located in the filesystem?  pkgfile isn't helping me narrow it down my search; I configured my previous .jumanjirc file by just pulling the source from git and using the config.h file in that tarball as a reference.

#14 2011-03-22 18:13:46

mhertz

config.h is part of the source-package(config.def.h), so where it is on the filesystem, is wherever you yourself placed it(or deleted it)...

Maybe i'm misunderstanding you? smile

#15 2011-03-23 16:36:47

ANOKNUSA

mhertz wrote:

config.h is part of the source-package(config.def.h), so where it is on the filesystem, is wherever you yourself placed it(or deleted it)...

Maybe i'm misunderstanding you? smile

All posts in the previous thread mention config.h containing the default config (as well as the list of variables), yet the homepage for the project simply mentions the file--but it doesn't appear to be installed with the rest of the package.  From what I've gleaned, it looks like this is something that needs to be modified at compile time; is that correct?

#16 2011-03-23 17:48:38

bangkok_manouel

mlq wrote:

Hello,

bangkok_manouel wrote:

edit: clarification about where the code belongs

It should be enough to apply the following patch to config.h:

diff --git a/config.def.h b/config.def.h
index 4d2901f..48a7a88 100644
--- a/config.def.h
+++ b/config.def.h
@@ -247,6 +247,7 @@ Setting settings[] = {
   {"download_dir",           &(download_dir),           NULL,                           's',  0, 0, 0, "The default download directory"},
   {"editor",                 &(spawn_editor),           NULL,                           's',  0, 0, 0, "Command to spawn the default editor"},
   {"encoding",               NULL,                      "default-encoding",             's',  0, 1, 0, "The default encoding to display text"},
+  {"enable_webgl",           NULL,                      "enable-webgl",                 'b',  0, 1, 0, "Enable webGL"},
   {"fantasy_font",           NULL,                      "fantasy-font-family",          's',  0, 1, 0, "The default fantasy font family"},
   {"font",                   &(font),                   NULL,                           's',  1, 0, 0, "The used font" },
   {"font_family",            NULL,                      "default-font-family",          's',  0, 1, 0, "The default font family"},

and then add the following line in your ~/.config/jumanji/jumanjirc:

set enable_webgl true

Best regards

strangely, I have

set enable_webgl

in jumajirc but, as far as webGL is concerned, I need to :set enable_webgl in jumanji *every* time I visit a webgl page. any idea? TIA

#17 2011-03-24 02:54:49

bam365

I'm really liking this browser. I loved the extensibility of uzbl but it was just too unstable for me. I did miss being able to bind keys to open URIs, so I added a few lines of code to jumanji to make that possible. This may be a bit off-topic, but has anyone had any luck using wget,aria2, or any other command-line downloading tool to download gmail attachments? No matter what options I feed to these programs, all I get from gmail is a 23Kb HTTP file instead of the actual data, and my web searching on the topic has yielded no answers...

#18 2011-03-24 23:43:43

madalu

Perhaps I am missing a setting, but winopen does not work as advertised. Instead of launching a new window, it simply opens a new tab. The same thing occurs when I right click on a link and select "Open link in new window." Instead of a new window, I get a tab. Finally, when I invoke jumanji (no options) no new window is opened if another instance is already running.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#19 2011-03-24 23:54:27

mhertz

ANOKNUSA wrote:

All posts in the previous thread mention config.h containing the default config (as well as the list of variables), yet the homepage for the project simply mentions the file--but it doesn't appear to be installed with the rest of the package.  From what I've gleaned, it looks like this is something that needs to be modified at compile time; is that correct?

Correct!

In C, you have header files(foo.h), in addition to the standard code files(foo.c), which defines the prototypes of the used functions...

The installed content then just consists of the gcc compiled output i.e. in this case just the single jumanji binary and the man...

Luckilly(imho), then jumanji supports an external config file to define it's settings after it's been compiled and at runtime(jumanjirc), unlike e.g. dwm etc, as else we would have to recompile upon each little change we wanted to make(defined in config.h, which by default is named config.def.h and just can be renamed)...

CU, Martin.

#20 2011-03-25 00:11:21

mhertz

@madalu

It's because jumanji is compiled with the option:

gboolean single_instance = TRUE;

On line 69 in config.def.h.

Instead of having to recompile, then i'm seeing from the 'set ' tab-completion that there's a setting named 'single_instance', so it seems that you should be able to toggle it from jumanjirc or during runtime, but i've just tried it, and couldn't get it to work, with both: false, FALSE, 0, off, = FALSE etc. ?

Last edited by mhertz (2011-03-25 00:12:04)

#21 2011-03-25 00:30:44

madalu

mhertz wrote:

@madalu

It's because jumanji is compiled with the option:

gboolean single_instance = TRUE;

Thanks! I knew it must be in there somewhere. I was stupidly grepping for window, not instance.

Instead of having to recompile, then i'm seeing from the 'set ' tab-completion that there's a setting named 'single_instance', so it seems that you should be able to toggle it from jumanjirc or during runtime, but i've just tried it, and couldn't get it to work, with both: false, FALSE, 0, off, = FALSE etc. ?

Adding...

set single_instance false

...to my jumanjirc did the trick.

#22 2011-03-25 00:43:04

mhertz

Cool, and you're welcome, mate!

I'm glad it worked from jumanjirc, as it dosen't when run during runtime from the command-bar! (i've just tried again...)

Maybe it needs a restart, I dunno...

#23 2011-03-25 00:56:39

ANOKNUSA

mhertz wrote:
ANOKNUSA wrote:

Correct!

In C, you have header files(foo.h), in addition to the standard code files(foo.c), which defines the prototypes of the used functions...

The installed content then just consists of the gcc compiled output i.e. in this case just the single jumanji binary and the man...

Luckilly(imho), then jumanji supports an external config file to define it's settings after it's been compiled and at runtime(jumanjirc), unlike e.g. dwm etc, as else we would have to recompile upon each little change we wanted to make(defined in config.h, which by default is named config.def.h and just can be renamed)...

CU, Martin.

Thanks for the clarification!  It's still a little difficult for me to translate the contents of that file into a jumanjirc but, given that I can tinker with it as much as I want--and it takes just a few minutes to build the package--I can just sort that all out onjce my config's set just how I like it.  I'd estimate that I have approximately zero knowledge of any advanced programming lanquage, so I just sort of hack away at it half the time.  tongue

EDIT--Quick question: would a line like "set jumanji_history false," or commenting out the line static "const char JUMANJI_HISTORY[]   = 'history';" in config.def.h, eliminate history tracking?  I find that using bookmarks with the <Tab> key is slower as history accumulates, and I don't really refer to the history anyway.

Last edited by ANOKNUSA (2011-03-25 01:49:11)

#24 2011-03-25 09:16:53

mhertz

Your most welcome, mate!

About your question, then i'm not home now and using a crappy win7 box, so I cannot tell you if there is an option called jumanji_history from jumanji, but if there is, then yes, that should work!

A tip for translating config.def.h to jumanjirc which I use, is to type ':set ' and then continually pressing tab, which then will show you exactly what options there are available to be used from jumanjirc and also with there descriptions, and so if there is a 'jumanji_history' listed there, then you know that you can use that!

Sorry if you allready knew the above, which you most likely do,  but just in case anyway wink

CU, Martin.

#25 2011-03-26 00:14:36

skottish
Forum Fellow

ANOKNUSA wrote:
mhertz wrote:
ANOKNUSA wrote:

Correct!

CU, Martin.

Thanks for the clarification!  It's still a little difficult for me to translate the contents of that file into a jumanjirc but, given that I can tinker with it as much as I want--and it takes just a few minutes to build the package--I can just sort that all out onjce my config's set just how I like it.  I'd estimate that I have approximately zero knowledge of any advanced programming lanquage, so I just sort of hack away at it half the time.  tongue

EDIT--Quick question: would a line like "set jumanji_history false," or commenting out the line static "const char JUMANJI_HISTORY[]   = 'history';" in config.def.h, eliminate history tracking?  I find that using bookmarks with the <Tab> key is slower as history accumulates, and I don't really refer to the history anyway.

No history:

set private_browsing true

For session cookies, symlink the cookies file to /dev/null

Last edited by skottish (2011-03-26 00:15:03)

Board footer