You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-01 10:47:37

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

[URGENT] Cantrebury baclk screen

Hey i installed the Catnerbury pre-release, but when i reboot all i get is a black screen with a blinking cursor!!

This is crap, you people can't even get the installation right.  I need to fix this right way because i need my computer for an important project. What's the deal?!

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#2 2011-04-01 10:52:57

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: [URGENT] Cantrebury baclk screen

I think you should start all over with your installation. I've got Canterbury up and running just fine on my system. Wow! Talk about responsiveness. Plus, I really like the gestural i/o interface. It's great to have all these distros rolled into one. The sum is definitely greater than its parts.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#3 2011-04-01 14:23:04

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Canterbury is the shiznit !!! \m/

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2011-04-01 14:26:46

flamelab

I managed to install it properly, but the Nvidia driver complains that the kernel (3.0.0alpha_canterbury) is not supported.

#5 2011-04-01 14:45:06

drcouzelis
Website

litemotiv wrote:

Hey i installed the Catnerbury pre-release, but when i reboot all i get is a black screen with a blinking cursor!!

The installation disc only installs the installer. You have to install the operating system yourself. That way, people who don't want the features of an operating system don't end up with all that bloat. It's part of the "keep it simple" mentality.

#6 2011-04-01 15:54:25

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

@litemotiv - I'm disappointed, you should know that these forums are only for discussing Arch Linux specific topics. Canterbury may be all well and good, but please head over to their forums. Closing....

EDIT: Dammit what did you do? I can't close this thread.... Murtuza, I blame you....

Last edited by ngoonee (2011-04-01 15:55:10)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2011-04-01 15:58:16

stlarch

Did you try reading the wiki first?

#8 2011-04-01 16:35:37

Awebb

ngoonee wrote:

you should know that these forums are only for discussing Arch Linux specific topics.

There is enough Arch in it to make this a valid thread. Let's help them out a bit until they have the proper infrastructure.

#9 2011-04-01 17:16:40

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

drcouzelis wrote:

The installation disc only installs the installer. You have to install the operating system yourself. That way, people who don't want the features of an operating system don't end up with all that bloat. It's part of the "keep it simple" mentality.

Thank you! I did what you said and now i get:

Grub error 7 : Loading below 1MB is not supported

How can i solve? Thank you!!

I appeal to you for forgive my English. I am not really advanced in speaking and writing English, but i strongly hope that being here, on this site, i will progress. I permit you that each time when you meet me in any discussion to correct me, i will not get upset, but i will be very grateful. Thanks a lot! What about you? How is your English?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#10 2011-04-01 17:22:21

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

please use code tags to show your outputs and code instead of increasing the font size and bolding it. Please follow forum rules.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#11 2011-04-01 17:47:47

falconindy
Developer
Website

litemotiv wrote:
drcouzelis wrote:

I appeal to you for forgive my English. I am not really advanced in speaking and writing English, but i strongly hope that being here, on this site, i will progress. I permit you that each time when you meet me in any discussion to correct me, i will not get upset, but i will be very grateful. Thanks a lot! What about you? How is your English?

I ran into this as well. Turns out, whoever compiled grub on the install disc used big endian encoding instead of little endian. Once I figured that out, it was simple to repack the binaries and finish the install.

#12 2011-04-01 17:52:22

flamelab

litemotiv wrote:
drcouzelis wrote:

I could solve this by installing the grub3 git branch, which supports the experimental Cantebury kernel.

#13 2011-04-01 18:04:05

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Inxsible wrote:

please use code tags to show your outputs and code instead of increasing the font size and bolding it. Please follow forum rules.

what you think your tough because you have admin or someting?? if you dont want to give the answers why dont you just go away and annoy some other people ok im really starting to hate forums admins mad(((

this forum sucks so i will start new one in laptop issues im install on dell 1150

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#14 2011-04-01 18:14:22

Cyrusm

I have the exact same issue!  except instead of a blinking cursor I have japanese characters and a blue screen...
BUMP!!!
SOMEONE HALP!

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#15 2011-04-01 18:20:38

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

litemotiv wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

what you think your tough because you have admin or someting?? if you dont want to give the answers why dont you just go away and annoy some other people ok im really starting to hate forums admins mad(((

this forum sucks so i will start new one in laptop issues im install on dell 1150

I am looking for my ban hammer....if i find it, you will regret it !!

Forum Rules

#16 2011-04-01 21:01:58

tomd123
Developer

litemotiv wrote:

This is crap, you people can't even get the installation right.  I need to fix this right way because i need my computer for an important project. What's the deal?!

How many times have you tried rebooting?

#17 2011-04-01 21:48:23

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

wat kinda forumz iz dis? y cant u help da guy out? i can haz da same izzu, so i wud liek it if u guyz cud help uz wit r problamz. but nooo! yoos r all a buncha butheadz and won help mi wit mi eror mesagez! cantrebury iz the sux0rs! yall gona not liek dis wen i hax0r ur boxez! im gona go yoos utubuntu now, i dont wana be dizraspectd heer.

-- mod edit: read the Forum Etiquette and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … s_and_Code [jwr] --

#18 2011-04-01 22:39:28

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

jasonwryan wrote:

-- mod edit: read the Forum Etiquette and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … s_and_Code [jwr] --

Fell out of my chair laughing. tongue

Board footer