You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-04 02:15:11

mw007

Clustered super computer desktop?

I've read different articles describing how to build a clustered supercomputer using spare machines laying around the house. This seems like a good idea, if you're building a Folding@Home machine, graphics rendering or something like that.

My question is this: would something like this also be useful for building a super everyday desktop? I'm wondering if the desktop environments can be built/compiled with this in mind?

#2 2011-04-04 03:28:17

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Clustered super computer desktop?

Super computers are useful for processing intensive tasks, but our everyday computers are now more than powerful enough to handle most of the tasks we use them for (browsing, chatting, etc.).

The important thing here is not processing power but latency, and clusters are by necessity pretty high on latency. You wouldn't want your DE partially running on some external computer, it doesn't do much processing, and the reduction in latency would be noticeable.

Farming out the compiling jobs etc. is much more beneficial, but that's not the job of the DE....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-04-04 04:17:01

mw007

Cool. That's pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the quick response smile

#4 2011-04-04 05:11:36

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

I'm still trying to figure out how to get kdenlive to render on a cluster... If anyone has any ideas on that, feel free to point me in a suitable direction wink

#5 2011-04-04 05:15:39

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I think I read an article about some new open-source cluster software within the last week, but I can't find it again. The name might have been something like ?osol (I could be way off, and no, it wasn't anything to do with Solaris, afair).

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#6 2011-04-04 05:46:39

JackH79
Website

You don't mean oscar by any chance?

#7 2011-04-04 12:44:13

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

JackH79 wrote:

You don't mean oscar by any chance?

Nope, but it was something very similar. I think the version number was pre-1.0, and I'm pretty sure that was not the home page.

Then again, I thought I had seen the article on Slashdot or Ars Technica, yet I can't find it on either, so maybe I've finally gone insane.

#8 2011-05-03 21:19:21

karol
Archivist

Xyne wrote:

The name might have been something like ?osol

Comsol? I think you can run their soft on a cluster but ...

Maybe it was http://opencompute.org/ ?

#9 2011-05-07 15:13:39

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

karol wrote:
Xyne wrote:

The name might have been something like ?osol

Comsol? I think you can run their soft on a cluster but ...

Maybe it was http://opencompute.org/ ?

That could be it. I don't recognize the website of either of those, but it was a while ago now and I only browsed for a couple of minutes.

Board footer