You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-10 13:42:51

Jacek Poplawski
Website

how to configure Gnome 3.0?

Hi,

I just installed gnome from [testing], the first thing is that there are some conflicts in "gnome" group (for instance gnome-themes and gnome-themes-standard), but more important thing is that I have no idea how to configure it.

Previously I was using xfce4.

I run gnome this way in .xinitrc:

setxkbmap pl
exec gnome-session

I had no idea which window manager is running, "ps ux" gives me no hints, but I noticed that uninstalling metacity had no effect, so I read about gnome 3 more and realized that gnome-shell must be a window manager.

In the top of the screen I have access to gnome-control-center (right top of the screen, then there are settings in menu) and to the applications (left top of the screen).

After searching the web on this subject I gave up and decided to ask here.... three things:

1) how to edit menu? I can only start applications from the preconfigured menu, I can't start something there is not in menu, there is no "edit menu" in gnome-control-center, there is application called alacarte but it crashes (probably invalid python version)

2) how to add quick launch icons to desktop? I need terminal, firefox, gimp and rawtherapee there

3) how to configure virtual desktops?

#2 2011-04-10 13:47:48

Rooki

Re: how to configure Gnome 3.0?

The window manager Gnome3 uses is called Mutter. As for configuration, you can't actually change any of the things you listed as yet, apart from pinning applications to the quick launch menu on the left. Virtual desktops are configured dynamically, and there is no menu as such. You can install gnome-tweak-tool to be able to change a few things though.

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeTweakTool

#3 2011-04-10 13:51:26

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

If you installed it from [testing], you should create threads in [testing]

Moving....

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2011-04-10 13:56:47

Jacek Poplawski
Website

OK so how can I change window manager to something else so I could edit menu, put desktop icons and create virtual desktops in gnome3?

(sorry for invalid forum)

#5 2011-04-11 09:28:15

joetotale

Hi Jacek

Rooki wrote:

As for configuration, you can't actually change any of the things you listed as yet, apart from pinning applications to the quick launch menu on the left. Virtual desktops are configured dynamically, and there is no menu as such.

I think you'll have to wait for future releases of Gnome 3 components.  As Rooki said, mutter doesn't currently have the configuration options you're looking for.

J

#6 2011-04-13 09:13:03

xelan

Actually it is possible to configure the menu of the gnome shell.
You just need to use a little workaround:
1. Go in the fallback mode. Then the default gnome panel will be used.
2. rightclick on "Apllications" and a menu to edit it will open.
3. Go back to Gnome 3 default

I found that out by an accident when I was working on my graphic driver.

#7 2011-04-13 12:58:51

fana-m

Or you can use gmenu-simple-editor for editing the menu.
So you dont need to make the logoff login jumping

Last edited by fana-m (2011-04-13 12:59:38)

Board footer