You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-13 13:46:53

Shakz

[SOLVED] Unable to load Gnome Shell 3.0

Hi all,
Did a search and didnt find anything on this. I really like gnome3 while testing it on an ubuntu machine and I think with time it would be great. So I said to myself I wonder how great it would be with a nice clean arch install.
I created a fresh install and followed the directions here.....
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME_3

I keep getting package not found errors in pacman though.
I uncommented the testing repo as instructed above
#testing uncommented
[testing]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
no dice
pacman -Syu testing/gnome gives me a package not found error.

I thought ok maybe my mirriorlist is too old so I updated my mirrors to the latest....no dice. testing/gnome not found

So I said ok maybe I can just upgrade. I went through the normal gnome 2 install procedure and have a working gnome wm environment. So as instructed above I tried to do the upgrade.
pacman -S gnome-shell.....no dice. gnome-shell not found.

pacman -Syu always shows testing repo update first so I know thats correct.

The same thing happened to me when kde 4.6 came out. I was unable to load it from the repository. 4.5 kept loading no matter what I did.
This is only my second question on these forums and I have been using arch for 2 years so be gentle ;-) I always try to rtfm first. Then forum search.

I would just try it out in suse but suse is just sooo fat. Folks in the forums there tend to slam a guy for asking an honest question quite a lot too. ( not me but while trying to load broadcom-wl I had to do several searches and wow....) Plus I hate thier package mangement.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered,
Shakz

Last edited by Shakz (2011-04-14 02:34:58)

#2 2011-04-13 13:48:38

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to load Gnome Shell 3.0

Please start threads in appropriate sub forums. Gnome3 is in testing.

You are more likely to see answers from other users in [testing]. wonder (dev who handles all gnome3 related packages) practically lives in [testing] forum currently and is likely to see your thread there sooner.

Moving...

on topic though : have you enabled testing and community-testing both?

If you are on 64 bit and are using multilib, then make sure you enable multilib-testing as well. Also make sure that the order of the repos is very important. testing must be before core and extra.

Also what mirrors have you used. Try the kernel.org and see if it helps.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-04-13 13:51:34

Shakz

Ah thanks for moving it. Thought it would have gone in the desktops area as I am unable to load Gnome Shell at all.

#4 2011-04-13 14:16:05

Shakz

Inxsible wrote:

on topic though : have you enabled testing and community-testing both?

If you are on 64 bit and are using multilib, then make sure you enable multilib-testing as well. Also make sure that the order of the repos is very important. testing must be before core and extra.

Also what mirrors have you used. Try the kernel.org and see if it helps.

Ah ok thanks for the response. I am using 64bit (sry for not mentioning that) Ill try to enable multilib-testing when I get home.
For repos I have all US repos uncommented as I use powerpill. I only comment out a few that always give connectivity errors.
Testing is uncommented above core and extra.
Appreciate it Inxsible!

#5 2011-04-14 02:34:22

Shakz

Fixed as per Inxsible's suggestion. Added multilib to /etc/pacman.conf and all is well!
I have always installed arch as 64bit and wondered why updates others seemed to be getting never showed up for me.

[testing]

[multilib]

Thanks!
Shakz

Marked solved with solution above.

Last edited by Shakz (2011-04-14 02:35:29)

Board footer