You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-30 07:19:44

Owen Tuz

[Solved] dhcpcd times out - but only on home (wireless) network

Having had some crashes yesterday and found nothing in the logs save a couple of (probably unrelated) references to the network card, I decided that it couldn't hurt to install the latest compat-wireless drivers. The Atheros card in this thing usually finds a reason to cause trouble with something.

That all went fine, but now I'm stuck with this problem: I can't get a dhcp lease from my router. Other routers are fine - I'm using a nearby BT access point at the moment. I can connect to the router from my Windows install with no difficulty.

What happens is, Network Manager shows that it is connecting, eventually fails to get a lease and does not even connect to the router. Interestingly, if I change the IPv4 settings to 'Manual' and enter any old IP address I connect to the router almost immediately, but without internet access.

Running dhcpcd manually results in timeout after 'Broadcasting for lease', and increasing dhcpcd's timeout to 120s had no effect on this.

I've tried restarting the router, no luck. The messages in /var/log/errors.log are not helpful:

Apr 30 07:52:18 localhost NetworkManager[2690]: supplicant_interface_acquire: assertion `mgr_state == NM_SUPPLICANT_MANAGER_STATE_IDLE' failed
Apr 30 07:53:10 localhost dhcpcd[2934]: timed out

The output of dhcpcd goes into /var/log/messages.log, I believe. I've left in all the details from Network Manager's startup, so it's fairly long I'm afraid: here you go (link is to Mozilla pastebin).

Rolling back the compat-wireless drivers to an earlier version didn't work, so I'm using the latest (29-04-2011) build again. It seems to work fine with any other router.

As if it needs saying, any help is appreciated! I'm trying to write a dissertation here, so you can imagine this is annoying me just a bit.

Thanks in advance,
Owen

Last edited by Owen Tuz (2011-04-30 10:53:22)

#2 2011-04-30 10:54:36

Owen Tuz

Re: [Solved] dhcpcd times out - but only on home (wireless) network

Double post because, ain't it always the way, I solved it >.>

Installing dhclient did the trick - it didn't work for me last night because there's a bug in the package which caused some directories not to be created. I'm off to file the report; if you need dhclient and run into similar problems, a quick "sudo mkdir /var/lib/dhclient" should do the trick.

Board footer