You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-04 22:01:03

cake

[SOLVED] No screens found & number of created screens...

Hi,

I'm getting the Fatal server error: no screens found error. /Xorg.0.log tells me none of the modules exist:

LoadModule: "glx"
Warning, couldn't open module glx
UnloadModule: "glx"
Unloading glx
Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)

same for all the other modules (extmod, dbe, record, dri, dri2, fb) but the module "nvidia" (nvidia_drv.so) loads fine.

Xorg -configure returns the following:

Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
Configuration failed.

At this point, I just want to boot into the system and save what files I can, and possibly just reinstall it afterwards unless I can get this crap fixed. What caused the problem, I think, was the fact that kernel 2.6.36 broke the nvidia drivers, I rolled back to 2.6.36 and then didn't upgrade for a while. Then, a few months later I ran pacman -Syu, thinking that new kernels and new drivers would have resolved whatever issues there were in 2.6.36 and now I'm screwed. What can I do from here?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cake (2011-05-05 19:32:19)

#2 2011-05-05 05:17:24

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] No screens found & number of created screens...

Try a live cd and backup all the files that you need. Then update your mirror list and run pacman -Syu again.

Also, since you didn't run pacman in the last few months, you will have to run pacman-db-upgrade, since pacman changed its db format. pacman should tell you that when you update it. Pay attention to what pacman says.

As a side note: Arch is a rolling release, if you do not update your system constantly, you will have more issues when you do update.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-05-05 10:37:07

cake

Inxsible wrote:

Try a live cd and backup all the files that you need. Then update your mirror list and run pacman -Syu again.

Also, since you didn't run pacman in the last few months, you will have to run pacman-db-upgrade, since pacman changed its db format. pacman should tell you that when you update it. Pay attention to what pacman says.

As a side note: Arch is a rolling release, if you do not update your system constantly, you will have more issues when you do update.

Thanks. I'm backing everything up with knoppix, but reinstalling just because X broke seems.. Well, it seems like there should be more that I could do.

I've been working on this on and off for a couple of weeks now, updating as I try new solutions so pacman should be all up to date.

Any ideas re: why the modules fail to load? I'm increasingly starting to think it's a problem with symlinks after having updated kernels and nvidia-utils without rebooting, but since I can't really figure out what should be pointing where I don't know how to try and solve it.

Is there no viable way to uninstall those packages that seem to be screwing things up - nvidia & xorg I guess - and reinstalling them again with fresh/no configurations?

#4 2011-05-05 11:38:53

hokasch

Since X fails, you should be able to just boot into single user mode (add single or 1 to grub's kernel line). For troubleshooting, I would start with fully update your system, merging all .pacnew files (and go through your pacman log again to check if you missed some notes), and delete/move xorg.conf if you have any - it works without one nowadays, all config is in xorg.conf.d/. If you can not resolve the issue, post the complete xorg log into a pastebin.

P.S.:

I'm increasingly starting to think it's a problem with symlinks after having updated kernels and nvidia-utils without rebooting, but since I can't really figure out what should be pointing where I don't know how to try and solve it.

Don't start messing around with symlinks - just calls for trouble down the road.

Last edited by hokasch (2011-05-05 11:40:16)

#5 2011-05-05 19:31:32

cake

Oh woop. Merged 20-nvidia.confs and remove xorg.conf has me back online. I'm not sure if both were needed or if simply removing xorg.conf was enough, and I probably never will. Thank you both, anyway.

Board footer