You are not logged in.

#751 2020-11-28 06:29:06

Serum

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

Probably the 2 most common reasons...

Ability to build the system from the ground up and only install exactly what I want/need.

Access to the AUR and Wiki.

#752 2020-12-15 16:31:51

Stagger Lee

- Documentation
- Forum support
- Grow tired of Ubuntu PPA third party repositories (even Ubuntu's own). Every single program I had installed in Ubuntu I find in 2 Arch repositories.
- I don't need to think about did I upgrade OS to latest release or LTS right now ?
- More standardized paths for configuration files. In Ubuntu much is shifted, moved to other places, custom named. You find it at least, but lose more time using Google.
- Much more.....

#753 2020-12-30 22:36:06

werkman2

Why i choose arch linux after using ubuntu and debian for many years?
The answer is simple, since from my ubuntu days i always came to the arch wiki to solve problems, i thought that since i always use the arch wiki. i might better off using arch linux itself, and i dont have to reinstall every 6 months.
i always was wary of using arch linux, since alot of blogs made it appear that arch breaks regularly, but im using arch for 3 years now, and still no breakage.
sorry for the typos, im writing this while enjoying some vodka on the rocks

#754 2020-12-31 05:44:46

tydynrain
Website

Because pretty much every crazy thing I want to try to implement, I can do it in Arch. I've been in love with Arch Linux since I first dipped my toe in to give it a try, more than 3 years ago at this point. I cannot imagine using a computer without it.

Registered Linux User: #623501 | Arch Linux Principles: Simplicity - Modernity - Pragmatism - User Centrality - Versatility => KISS
Arch Linux, the most exciting thing since Linus created Linux and married it with GNU/GPL.
Arch Linux for Life, Arch Linux Forever!

#755 2020-12-31 21:39:13

VoDo

I have been using Arch since February I still can not understand why other distros are that heavy. My Arch is minimal i3 with only 500 packages and it does everything I need when I tried other distros based on Arch they are heavy even when choosing i3 edition, over 1000 packages of junk I could not go under 650. That was the time when I chose to build my own "distro". It still impresses me how Arch can be build light and functional and it did not break of course the stability is big point too.

Archi3

#756 2021-01-05 03:01:25

crade

I have at one point (way back) run lfs, gentoo, ubuntu..
but honestly I was attracted to arch because i found the arch docs were always helping me fix everything
also, ubuntu was a massive download and install, then wouldnt boot and arch docs told me why

#757 2021-01-17 19:48:59

ectospasm

I decided to give Arch a whirl because Google kept recommending the Arch Wiki as I was troubleshooting issues with my Debian instances.  I've been running Arch since 2013 or so.  I run Arch on my personal daily driver (A Lenovo ThinkPad 25th Anniversary Edition (20K7)), and my workstation (an old Lenovo ThinkStation D20).  When I build my new file server later this year, it will be running Arch Linux and Borg.

Migrating my Debian router to Arch will be a challenge, something I suspect will take an entire weekend.

Board footer