You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-12 20:09:07

masteryod

[SOLVED] how to connect NAS directly to gigabit ethernet port?

hello, I have question no entirely about Arch but I know here on Arch bbs I can find master brains of IT wink

soon I'll be replacing my old PC and I'm wondering about motherboard with two gigabit network ports, can I connect first to internet/router/etc and second directly to NAS or SAMBA server? (probably PC with freeNAS, do you know any better NAS operation system/software?) Is it possible? Does it takes some magic spells to do that or it works out of box? I mean Lin/Win dual boot client. It should be a lot faster to get files directly with "clean" cable than via router smashed with internet traffic.

Hope I didn't make fool of myself wink

Last edited by masteryod (2011-05-14 13:04:22)

#2 2011-05-13 05:02:11

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] how to connect NAS directly to gigabit ethernet port?

Short answer:  Yes

Medium answer:  Of course, yes

Longer answer:  Yes, but something must be done to configure that other port.  Either assign static addresses for that bud, or run a DHCP server on your Arch Box for that NIC, or run one on your SAMBA server / NAS box.  It needs a different subnet address than the primary (Ethernet Facing) interface.  You will probably want to use Class C private address space (192.168.xx.xx).  You may need to add some entries to your routing table.  It sounds hard; but it is not.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-05-13 12:16:34

masteryod

Great, thanks for your answer smile

#4 2011-05-13 12:22:43

student975

To my taste, more handy way is to use an external 1GB switch. I have such one [1]: workstation, NAS (both running Arch and having motherboard with 1GB port) and router are just connected to the switch. I have no problems at all as well have up to 115MiB/s speed between NAS and workstation.

This way (external switch) seem to me be more universal and simple.

[1] http://www.netgear.com/service-provider … S105E.aspx

"I exist" is the best myth I know..

#5 2011-05-14 04:40:33

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

student975 wrote:

This way (external switch) seem to me be more universal and simple.

+1. You won't notice any speed difference, and makes it 100 times easier when you want to connect another computer to the NAS as well (eg, laptop or a friend when they visit).

#6 2011-05-14 13:00:51

masteryod

Great smile thansk for all the answers I appreciate that and I will go with the switch, indeed is easier and more flexible solution - but good to know that ad-hoc connection is possible

Board footer