You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-15 16:59:45

darkreaper476

dual users running dual x11vnc servers

Hello I have ran into an issue on my server trying to run two separate users that are both running xfce and X11vnc servers.

I can run the two vnc users i have on ~f7 my gameserveruser then ~f8 my homeserveruser I was able to get X11vnc running on each one and connect to each one separately but I can only control which ever user I am switch physically for example if I am looking at my monitor on ~f7 connect to the vncserver on f7 it works fine but then if i switch to ~f8 while connected my vnc viewer no longer has control, the mouse moves but if I try to open a terminal nothing happens on screen etc.

any help would be awesome, THANKS

#2 2011-05-16 17:56:29

krunge

Re: dual users running dual x11vnc servers

This appears to be the way the Linux virtual terminals (F7, F8, ...) work: only one can be active; any app on an inactive one can't read the framebuffer pixels nor can it process mouse/keyboard events.

More info here: http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/faq.html#faq-linuxvc

Sadly doing things like using RAM buffering with ShadowFB (if the driver supports it) don't help.

It seems to do what you want to do you need to use at least one Virtual (RAM-only) X server.  E.g. Xvnc (launched via 'vncserver' cmd) or x11vnc+Xvfb:

http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/faq.html#faq-xvfb

and if you ever need to view it on the physical display, you'd have to use a VNC viewer to access it.

#3 2011-06-23 23:18:12

darkreaper476

Thanks for the info, I finally got SHH working right so I can use SSH for my server user then seperatly vnc to my "user" user when needed.

#4 2011-06-24 17:14:15

rwd

I'm not sure if I understand what you are trying to achieve, but how about seperate ssh sessions for each user? Wouldn't that enable you to quickly switch between two active sessions? Or maybe look into tightvnc, as that is meant to start separate sessions so it might be more flexible in that regard.

#5 2011-06-30 22:11:05

darkreaper476

Well I wanted to have a "game server" session that another admin can connect to remotely to maintain if needed, Then I also wanted my personal user to be able to be connected to remotely. I originally wanted both to be VNC but that wont work at the same time so I will settle for shh on one and VNC for the other.. I got it figgured out. smile

Board footer