You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-23 05:05:11

csocratess

problem with wvdial

Hi all,

I have a huawei EC 1260 modem. I use wvdial to connect to it. The connection seems to be setting up fine going by the output of wvdial. The output of wvdial includes a local IP address, remote IP address, primary and secondary DNS servers.

When I run ifconfig, I see that I have 3 interfaces, eth0, lo and ppp0. The ppp0 shows the same inet address as in the wvdial output.

I have checked /etc/resolv.conf. It has the same IP addresses as in the output of wvdial.

Yet, I am not able to ping anything. ping www.google.com times out.

Please help me. How do I check if ping is using the ppp0 interface?

Thanks.

#2 2011-05-23 05:40:37

ewaller
Administrator

Re: problem with wvdial

With the modem connected, can you run and then post (somehow) the output of :

route
and
nslookup archlinux.org   
(Hint: nslookup is provided by core/dnsutils)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-05-23 16:45:06

csocratess

I tried the commands that you asked me to try. I found out that it was not using the ppp0 interface.

Next, I stopped the network daemon by running
rc.d stop network.

After this, I could ping and use the network using the modem. However, when I started the network daemon again, ping stopped working.

Must I stop the network daemon everytime I want to use the modem?

#4 2011-05-23 18:17:43

kevinmchapman

I've noticed the same problem, but I have never needed to stop the network daemon. I just bring down the interface using ifconfig or netcfg, depending on machine.

Board footer