You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-29 00:50:37

ewaller
Administrator

Building a HTTP Jail

I know this is off topic, so let us keep this brief.

I need some suggestions as to how to set up the following:

I want a dedicated open wireless router with which anyone can associate.  This router will not provide Internet access, but, rather, will be served by a web sever running on a dedicated machine.  I want all traffic from all computers associated with the router to redirect to an index page served by the dedicated computer.

I envision the router down-stream port being attached directly to an  Ethernet port on the server, with the router providing gateway services to the wireless network i create.

Suggestions?
Thanks

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#2 2011-05-29 03:24:51

rowdog

Re: Building a HTTP Jail

I haven't ever set one up but it sounds like you're talking about a "captive portal".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_portal might help you get started.

#3 2011-05-29 03:29:45

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Building a HTTP Jail

Thank you.  That was the "search" word I needed

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer