#1 2011-05-30 09:07:06

ccpplinux

How to install packages from local folder

Hi all,
I have downloaded all arch linux packages from the following URLs:

ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/archlinux/core/os/i686/
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/archlinux/extra/os/i686/
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/archlinux/community/os/i686/

and then have saved them to an external hard disk. Then I have attached that external hard disk to my system and packages are available in following folders:

/mnt/external_hd/Arch_Linux/Core-OS/
/mnt/external_hd/Arch_Linux/Extra-OS-1/
/mnt/external_hd/Arch_Linux/Extra-OS-2/
/mnt/external_hd/Arch_Linux/Community-OS-1/
/mnt/external_hd/Arch_Linux/Community-OS-2/
/mnt/external_hd/Arch_Linux/Community-OS-3/

Now I want to install some or all packages from these folder with the help of pacman command. I am seeing that package corresponding to wvdial command is available in the /mnt/external_hd/Arch_Linux/Extra-OS-1/ folder. But how to use pacman command so that I can install wvdial package from that folder?

In addition to this if I want to install ALL Extra Packages available in the folders /mnt/external_hd/Arch_Linux/Extra-OS-1/ and /mnt/external_hd/Arch_Linux/Extra-OS-2/ then how to execute the pacman command?

Please send me step by step instructions so that I shall be able to install some or all downloaded packages.

I shall remain thankful for this forever.

Best Regards ...

Pankaj Kumar

#2 2011-05-30 09:19:11

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: How to install packages from local folder

Your questions could easily be answered by reading the excellent wiki the community has provided.

The pacman page has information on installing from a local directory https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … l_commands

and the pacman tips page tells you how to set up a custom repository https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … repository

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2011-05-30 11:33:52

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

ccpplinux wrote:

Please send me step by step instructions so that I shall be able to install some or all downloaded packages.

Just a reminder that Arch is not Ubuntu. You will find yourself very frustrated and disappointed if you expect someone to sit down and write detailed step-by-step instructions for everything you wish to do with Arch. Especially more so if such instructions are already in the Wiki.

EDIT:
To answer your question...

man pacman wrote:

-U, --upgrade
           Upgrade or add package(s) to the system and install the required dependencies from sync repos. Either a URL or file path can be specified. This is a “remove-then-add” process. See Upgrade
           Options below; also see Handling Config Files for an explanation on how pacman takes care of config files.

Last edited by fukawi2 (2011-05-30 11:35:07)

#4 2011-05-30 16:35:46

ccpplinux

Hi all,
Thanks for reply. As I am having all packages in the local folder and so can any one of you please send me steps to modify the file /etc/pacman.conf and use pacman command in such a way that I can install X window with KDE on my system? Please send me only two things:

1. What to make change in the file /etc/pacman.conf with respect to folders in which I have saved all packages
2. How to execute packman command to make use of these packages in order to install X window with KDE.

I need these two things immediately. I hope any one from this forum will help me in this regard.

Best Regards ...
Pankaj Kumar

#5 2011-05-30 16:43:26

tomk
Forum Fellow

As already posted above - all the information you need is in the wiki and man page. Why have you not read the links provided by jasonwryan or the man page that fukawi2 referred to?

#6 2011-05-30 17:16:57

ewaller
Administrator

ccpplinux wrote:

I shall remain thankful for this forever.

Welcome to Arch.

Allow me to advise you that this approach will not endear you to this community.  You will find the people here will provide vast amounts of help -- If you demonstrate that you respect them and their precious time.

You must research the problem prior to asking for help, and, when you do ask for help, tell us what you have learned and tried.   If someone suggests that you look someplace, they are probably telling you that your research was incomplete.

I might suggest you follow the link in my signature.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2011-05-30 20:10:56

adee

ccpplinux wrote:

I need these two things immediately. I hope any one from this forum will help me in this regard.

This sounds very pretentious. This is not that forum...  Your question is already asked, please follow the links provided.

#8 2011-05-30 20:17:18

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps ypu shpuld enter....pacman -U ...and click and drag the desired ...  .pkg.tar.xz...to the command line .

This should do the job for any pacman related package.

Otherwise, follow the wiki info as recommended.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#9 2011-05-30 23:07:03

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

ccpplinux wrote:

I need these two things immediately.

Then I suggest you start reading faster. You have politely been advised that this is not the community to be making demands like this.

A quick Google for your username indicates that you are a freelancer, which suggests to me that you are doing this for a client (which is why you "need if immediately") and that you are being paid. It is totally unacceptable to expect the Arch community to write you step-by-step instructions for things that are already very well documented, previously answered and that you are being paid to do.

Your questions have been answered above, and in man pages and the wiki.

If you wish to be more successful in future queries, I suggest you read, review and read again the following articles;
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Forum_Etiquette
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

#10 2011-05-31 03:12:26

ccpplinux

Hi fukawi2,
Thanks for reply and searching for my username on google. It is true that I am a freelance s/w developer but I am not installing Arch Linux for any client. I am installing it due to some other reasons. In fact I started working on Red Hat and then on Fedora when I was a student of bachelor degree course in computer applications. Then later I searched open suse and started using it. I am using open suse from its 10.1 version. However the recent version of this distribution has become much resource consuming. So I am in the need of a light weight linux distribution. And I encountered Arch Linux. Then I purchased its installation disk from an online shop and installed it on my system. But only text mode is working at this moment. Since I want to use X window and so I started to follow the syntax of pacman command. But it is connecting to internet. Since my internet connection is slow (average speed of 10kbps) and so I requested the same online shop to download all packages from Arch Linux repository and send them to me. Therefore now I am having all those packages in my local external hard disk drive in the folder mentioned in my first post. Now I want to install packages from these folder. And so in order to get help I have come to this forum.

I have also followed the steps given on the pages https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … l_commands and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … repository. But when I am trying to install a particular package using the following command:

pacman -U wvdial

then it is asking for a dependency. I know that  the dependent package in my local folder but why it is not being automatically taken by pacman command? Can you please explain it.

That is why I am asking help only for customization and usages of pacman in order to install packages from local folder. But each member in this forum is only referring to long written manuals and not giving me exact solution which I think will involve four/five steps.

Best Regards ...
Pankaj Kumar

#11 2011-05-31 03:16:59

karol
Archivist

ccpplinux wrote:

I have also followed the steps given on the pages https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … l_commands and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … repository. But when I am trying to install a particular package using the following command:

pacman -U wvdial

then it is asking for a dependency. I know that  the dependent package in my local folder but why it is not being automatically taken by pacman command? Can you please explain it.

If you have your custom local repository properly set up and added to pacman.conf, you can 'pacman -S wvdial' the usual way.

#12 2011-05-31 03:24:15

ccpplinux

karol wrote:
ccpplinux wrote:

pacman -U wvdial

If you have your custom local repository properly set up and added to pacman.conf, you can 'pacman -S wvdial' the usual way.

that means there is some problem in setting of my custom local repository. But I have created necessary db.tar.gz files for corresponding pkg.tar.gz files and mentioned their name in pacman.conf file. I have also placed the name of my repository before other repositories. That is why the pacman command is starting to install wvdial command. But why it is now automatically installing its dependent packages from local folders? Can you please explain it.

#13 2011-05-31 03:25:51

ccpplinux

But why it is NOT automatically installing its dependent packages from local folders? Can you please explain it.

#14 2011-05-31 04:00:25

karol
Archivist

ccpplinux wrote:

But why it is NOT automatically installing its dependent packages from local folders? Can you please explain it.

-U, --upgrade
           Upgrade or add package(s) to the system and install the required dependencies from sync repos.

pacman will error out [1] when facing conflicts and will pull the needed dependencies from the repos.
At least it does work like that here. Does it work for you when you're using 'pacman -S foo' instead of 'pacman -U /path/to/foo'?

[1]

...resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: foo and bar are in conflict (foo<1.11.1)

#15 2011-05-31 06:17:49

tomk
Forum Fellow

It is encouraging that you have actually tried to work this out yourself, instead of insisting on immediate step-by-step instructions. My guess is that you have created your local repo, but you haven't synced with it. Try

pacman -Syu wvdial

and post the complete output here, along with your pacman.conf. Use forum code tags as required.

#16 2011-05-31 08:08:18

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

tomk wrote:

It is encouraging that you have actually tried to work this out yourself, instead of insisting on immediate step-by-step instructions.

Indeed. These kind of details are what you should have started with. We are more than happy to help with specific problems rather than general hand-holding smile

tomk wrote:

My guess is that you have created your local repo, but you haven't synced with it. Try

pacman -Syu wvdial

and post the complete output here, along with your pacman.conf.

If that doesn't work, try `pacman -Syy` also.

#17 2011-05-31 08:20:03

ccpplinux

Hi all,
Thanks for reply. Here is what I have done till now.

1. I have placed all extra packages downloaded from arch linux repository to a single folder in my external hard disk. So now the path of that folder is /mnt/external_hd/Arch_Linux/Extra-OS/

2. Then I have used the command repo-add to create a package database file as follows:

repo-add extra-os.db.tar.gz  *.pkg.tar.gz

3. Then I copied the file extra-os.db.tar.gz to extra-os.db as it was being searched by pacman.

4. Then I copied the file extra-os.db to the folder /var/lib/pacman/sync/

5. Then I make the following entry in the file /etc/pacman.conf:

[extra-os]
Server = file:///mnt/external_hd/Arch_Linux/Extra-OS/

6. Then I commented path of all other repositories with # symbol in the file /etc/pacman.conf

7. Then I have executed the command pacman -S wvdial and then got a warning message like below:

warning: can not resolve wvstreams a dependency of wvdia

Do you want to skip above package for upgrade[y/n]

8. The same error message in case of command pacman -Syu wvdial

9. When I am trying to install wvstreams with command pacman -S wvstreams then I am getting the error message: target not found wvstreams.

10. But I have checked that the file corresponding to the package wvstreams is available in the same folder that is /mnt/external_hd/Arch_Linux/Extra-OS/.

Please suggest me what is wrong in steps followed by me?

Best Regards ...
Pankaj Kumar

#18 2011-05-31 08:25:41

ccpplinux

I have also tried pacman -Syy and the same problem

#19 2011-05-31 08:38:29

ccpplinux

I want to attach my pacman.conf file to this forum but there is no option for uploading a file after clicking on Post Reply button. How to attach pacman.conf file? Please instruct me.

#20 2011-05-31 08:40:52

ccpplinux

Any one interested in helping me can download the pacman.conf file from my server at http://www.glug4muz.org/arch_linux/pacman.conf. I am waiting for a positive reply.

#21 2011-05-31 09:12:46

ccpplinux

Can any one here help me in pointing out the mistake done by me in setting local repository? I am still waiting for a positive reply.

#22 2011-05-31 09:43:18

karol
Archivist

Can you install a package by giving the full path 'pacman -U /path/to/package.pkg.tar.xz'? Can you post an example and the output?
What filesystem is on that other drive?

#23 2011-05-31 09:47:50

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please do not keep bumping this thread https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … te#Bumping

The community are not here at your beck and call. Review the links provided and compare the information in the wiki with your procedure: do you see any differences?

Arch is for competent Linux users who are willing to solve their own problems. The community will assist you if you show that you have tried to work through the issue yourself, but we aren't here to hold your hand.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#24 2011-05-31 10:03:12

ccpplinux

Hi karol,
Thanks for reply. When I am used the syntax pacman -U /path/to/package.pkg.tar.xz for wvdial package then I got the dependency error message for wvstreams packages. When I used the same syntax for wvstreams then I got the dependency error message for the xplc package. And when I used the same syntax for the xplc package then it was INSTALLED. Then I install wvstreams package. Finally I installed wvdial package. But why the dependency problem was not automatically resolved by pacman? Can you please help me in fixing this issue?

Best Regards ...
Pankaj Kumar

Note: I am very sorry. I will never cross post or bump this thread.

#25 2011-05-31 10:06:22

ccpplinux

Hi karol,
The file system of the external hard disk in which I have saved all downloaded packages is vfat.

Best Regards ...
Pankaj Kumar

Board footer